NVidia RTX 3060ti

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
We have a 4 year replacement cycle, plus mid-cycle replacements for damage/breakages/failures.

However, we're still on 1080p screens after 2 cycles. Yes, they've gone from 17" to 21" screens and now to 24" (and 27" for some people), but they're still 1080p.

Can probably count on 1 hand the number of people in a building of 5000 that have anything larger/higher resolution (excluding the iMac/MacBook Pro users on the design teams). Most people just have multiple screens instead.

However, I know this is partly due to the hot/smart-desk philosophy, so you couldn't guarantee you'd be at a desk with a 1440/2160p monitor unless everyone had then. Every desk has a single screen on an arm, but there are 'floating' screen in the admin areas that you can use to create a multi-screen set-up.

I was lucky that I was one of the privileged ones who had a permanent desk and so could do a 3-screen set-up (17" laptop and 2 x 24" screens - all at 1080p).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Contracts for things like screens are not that clear cut for something like this.

I would hazard an educated guess that the contract overall pricing includes costs for the repair of broken or unserviceable screens.

those may go back in to NHS or be repurposed to other organisations etc.

at the moment unless smashed a screen failure invariably means simply replacing the AD card or backlight, or possibly the panel.

the panel is the most expensive part of the monitor but even then it’s a good bit lower than a new screen.

Backlights and other internals are fairly cheap (in scheme of things v replacing a full monitor).

Once spares dry up, as they will it’s all part of managing an end of life product.

Move to 4K, it’s a full screen replacement, rather than a panel or an AD card or backlight.

Who is going to eat the cost difference between a repair and a full replacement?

The contract organisation supplying screens?... doubt it, they will pass costs as an uplift to existing contract.

Once something as basic as an AD card, backlight etc goes end of life, then every screen failure within NHS would be a new 4K screen.

This does mean someone needs to fund new 4K stock in volume and associated support spares.

it needs to be volume to get the best price.
I know our business and my previous one don’t do any repairs at all. Once a screen is defective it’s sold on eBay well below what it’s worth. Then they just replace with a new screen.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I know our business and my previous one don’t do any repairs at all. Once a screen is defective it’s sold on eBay well below what it’s worth. Then they just replace with a new screen.
The university i used to work at, things like monitors that had a problem just went in the Wi waste