NVidia RTX3000 FE 12 PIN Connector actually official PCIe 5.0 connector

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, all you who managed to snatch up the elusive RTX 3000 Founder Edition cards with the 12 Pin PCIe connectors like @AgentCooper , you're all ahead of the curve.

It turns out this wasn't some proprietary connector that NVidia was pulling out of thin air for the sake of it, it's the official standard PCIe 5 connector that will be present on all upcoming PSUs.

So kudos to NVidia for implementing it early, turns out they were doing something positive, not being unduly difficult.

This enables UP TO 600W to be delivered THROUGH THAT ONE PORT!!!

This suggests that power envelopes for GPUs under PCIe 5 is set to go through the roof. We could start seeing PSU requirements of 1000W as standard!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Hmm. As someone who’s always been happy with medium/high graphical settings, I’m hoping that the RMx 750w will suffice for any future GPU purchases for my system. If not, I’ll have the geekiest doorstop in town.

DarTon

The 1000W PSU I just bought (bargain at £105, thanks PCS) is already obsolete.

The TDP of Nvidia's Ada Lovelace AL102 GPU die (4090?) is meant to be 450W. That's up another 100W from the GA102 3090 TDP of 350W. Many AIB 3090s use 3 8pins and power usage spikes above the 450W level . So I can imagine a 4090/4080 Ti drawing 600W+ pretty easily.

Add that to say an Intel Aldur-Lake 12900K that can draw over 400W. Intel really improved energy efficiency with those "efficiency cores"! Seems 1200W will be the new 850W for high end builds. Plus don't buy any AIO with less than a 360mm radiator. Don't even know how this is going to work in a laptop.

Meanwhile Apple have their M1 ARM chips operating at a fraction of these thermal levels.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The 1000W PSU I just bought (bargain at £105, thanks PCS) is already obsolete.

The TDP of Nvidia's Ada Lovelace AL102 GPU die (4090?) is meant to be 450W. That's up another 100W from the GA102 3090 TDP of 350W. Many AIB 3090s use 3 8pins and power usage spikes above the 450W level . So I can imagine a 4090/4080 Ti drawing 600W+ pretty easily.

Add that to say an Intel Aldur-Lake 12900K that can draw over 400W. Intel really improved energy efficiency with those "efficiency cores"! Seems 1200W will be the new 850W for high end builds. Plus don't buy any AIO with less than a 360mm radiator. Don't even know how this is going to work in a laptop.

Meanwhile Apple have their M1 ARM chips operating at a fraction of these thermal levels.
AMD though also are nowhere near Intel power requirements.

For me that's one of the deal breakers with any Intel chip, they're just so incredibly inefficient to produce equivalent performance.

Remains to be seen what the AMD refresh in January will be like, as they're undoubtedly just overclocked Ryzen 5000 series with the new 3D v-cache?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Looks as though I did the right thing when I got 1000W RMx for the Berserker.....
It was march last year I specced a decent performing scientific based machine be for a friend, we put in a 750w which was the standard back then! My oh my how quick things change

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Next thing you know PCS will be selling wind turbines and solar panels to power these 'new' gaming machines....!

PauFen

Which is of course completely compatible with the green movement to use less energy! o_O
I've never been a fan of Apple, but that's one good thing about their M1 tech. My PC power usage is probably my main environmental sin! (I don't drive etc)