Octane II 15.6"

deanparkr

Just been playing with my new Octane II 15.6"! Thought I would feedback a few points for anyone considering purchasing it. Here is what I went for:

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM, DirectX® 12, G-SYNC
M.2 SSD Drive
512GB SAMSUNG SM951 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2150MB/R, 1550MB/W)

The ordering process

First of all I'd like to mention how great the PCS pre-sales experience is. The website is really easy to use. I spoke with PCS over the phone to confirm some parts of the specification and they were really helpful. Once you order the machine they update you with emails at every stage of the process. The machine was built on time with the 3 day fast track. It was delivered by DPD which is great as they send you a SMS before hand saying within one hour window when it is coming.

Overall the website, pre sales support, building and delivery exceeded my expectations!

The machine

The machine is super speedy and has certainly delivered a nice upgrade from my P150HM (6970M) performance wise. Certainly can't fault the components. One very good thing is the sound. The Onkyo speakers are the best I have owned in a laptop before. As laptop sound goes, these exceeded my expectations. I mean, its still laptop sound, just much better than usual. :yes:

Just a few niggles though....

• The screen, while very bright, has bleeding on all edges. The screen while seeming better spec wise appears in reality, I think, to be a step down on whatever screen was used in my P150HM.
  • The power adapter has a short cable going from the power brick to the laptop. It is certainly unusually short. Not a huge deal, but is a design shortcoming.
  • The chassis is very good in terms of cooling. It has a rubberized coating on the palm rest, but it seems lighter than the coating on the P150HM. I think it might be vulnerable to easier wear and tear over time.
  • The screen hinges do not seem as sturdy as the P150HM.

Right now I am just keeping an eye on the screen bleeding issue. Hard to tell if it is a normal amount or not.

Otherwise though its a very nice machine. :yes:

Last edited: