Octane Series: 17.3 Shutting Down When Power Disconnects

zeeqon

Hello,

In february 2019 I bought an Octane series, it's working perfectly fine, however, if I start it without power plugged in, it shuts down a few seconds after Windows loads on... I don't understand why...

Did anybody else have this issue ?
The battery is 100% when this happens.
Could it be the battery doesn't hold charge properly ?
Software issue ?
Hardware issue ?

Spec:
i7-9700k
32gb ram 2666mhz
rt2080
NVMe Samsung 1TB
NVMe Samsung 500GB
5200RPM HDD 500gb
144hz screen

Any info would be helpfull, thanks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It sounds like a bad battery. Shut it down fully, put it on charge for 24 hours (don't use it at all during this time) then unplug the charger and boot the laptop. If it won't stay on then its probably a dead battery.

zeeqon

I charged it, and it's working fine if I disconnect the power.

The problem is when I start the laptop without the power being connected... it's like sometimes it draws more than the battery can provide.

Battery wear is at 22% in hwmonitor, is that a lot ?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I charged it, and it's working fine if I disconnect the power.

The problem is when I start the laptop without the power being connected... it's like sometimes it draws more than the battery can provide.

Battery wear is at 22% in hwmonitor, is that a lot ?

What laptop is it? Can you post the FULL spec please?

Ive not heard of a battery not being able to start a laptop? I do know that some gaming laptops only provide full power when on battery and mains power together.

The 22% wear is not excessive for a two year old laptop I wouldn't have thought.

I would talk to PCS about it not starting on a fully charged battery.

zeeqon

The problem continues. Yesterday as the laptop was working I disconnected the power and it kept working. I turned it off and on a few times, it kept working.

Today I shut it down (battery 100%), left home, got somewhere, then I tried to start it, it started then it shut down, like before... I don't understand anymore, can the cells around the 100% be damaged ? since they are the cells that are most stressed ? I don't have extensive knowledge about batteries.

Looks like I might have to buy a battery after all... the only thing is that I would hate to spend £80 for a new battery only to realize it was not the battery at fault. But I can't find anything else...

@ubuysa
Chassis & DisplayOctane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor1 x 330W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryOctane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Thermal PasteCOOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound CardIntel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options4 x USB 3.0 Ports + 2 x USB 3.1 Type C Ports
Keyboard LanguageOCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating SystemNO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaNO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserFirefox™
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ah, so it doesn't just shutdown when the power is disconnected then? It shutdown recently when cold booted on battery alone it seems? This might not be a battery issue.

This is going to sound silly, but open up the laptop, remove the M.2 SSD (it likely has a locking screw) and then reinsert it fully, replacing the locking screw.

We've had several people report strange issues that were fixed by reseating the M.2 SSD, and your symptoms could well be an SSD issue.....possibly. :)

Bhuna50

Author Level
Can I suggest the obvious before you remove the M2 and that is to back up any data / files you need from it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeeqon

Thanks for the advice.

I recently installed a second M.2 SSD, I did not know about this issues.

I will take the second one off completly, then reseat the first one and try boot it like that.

I will update with results.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for the advice.

I will take the second one off completly, then reseat the first one and try boot it like that.

I will update with results.
When you open it up to do that, just make sure all visible connection are secure, and that you didn't accidently disturb something when you installed that other M.2

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Did these problems start after installing that second M.2 SSD?

PCS don't do the Octane any more so I can't check, but I do know that some models of laptop, although having two M.2 ports could not support two M.2 SSDs, the second port could only be used for other (non-SSD) devices. Perhaps that's the root of your problem?

It's well worth testing with the second drive removed for a while.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Did these problems start after installing that second M.2 SSD?

PCS don't do the Octane any more so I can't check, but I do know that some models of laptop, although having two M.2 ports could not support two M.2 SSDs, the second port could only be used for other (non-SSD) devices. Perhaps that's the root of your problem?

It's well worth testing with the second drive removed for a while.
Coming late to the party, but as you said mate there were several chassis that do not like twin M.2 slots being used (especially with Samsung drives).

22% wear isnt bad and I wouldn't advise splurging out just yet.

zeeqon

Thanks all for the help, again.

Today I woke up (laptop was shut). Took the second M.2 out (it's a 500gb Samsung). I want to mention that this M.2 works only at half of the speed, obvious now, now obvious when I bought it (still double speed than an SSD)

After I took the second M.2 out, started the laptop, Windows loaded for 10-15 seconds and it went out...

I then proceded to take the first M.1 out, I looked around and nothing seems to be out of place. I don't remember when this problem started to be honest because I don't really use it much on battery (like less then once a month).

I put the first M.1 back, started, booted, died after 10-15 seconds. I think the last test I'll make is to make a bootable Linux drive and boot that see what happens.

Also the computer makes a clicking noise when this happens and then again when I start it (only when I start it after it has shut down for not having power connected).

To me it seems that since starting takes a lot of power, the battery cannot supply that increased power demand, it chockes and computer just gives out. Now I took the power cable out, writing this here, battery is now at 88%, but no shutdowns or weird behaviour.

There's another thing that makes me think that it might be the battery. I had my laptop borrowed to my best friend (he wanted to play Borderlands 3, hehe) he said that for a few days that he had it, the power cable disconnected two times while he was playing, computer shut down few seconds after cable disconnected, seems again that it shuts down when there's not enough power.

HWmonitor says that it's just 22% wear but... when I look at this, makes me thinlk it's a bit more than that (windows battery report)

1612091927671.png

zeeqon

As I took the power out yesterday, at some point it shut down (before battery reaching 0%)

Without the battery plugged in and running just on charger... it's working fine, the same as when the battery is in and just on charger.
I think I'll be ordering myself a battery soon.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As I took the power out yesterday, at some point it shut down (before battery reaching 0%)

Without the battery plugged in and running just on charger... it's working fine, the same as when the battery is in and just on charger.
I think I'll be ordering myself a battery soon.
That does sound more like a battery issue than anything else then.