Octane V

sirneil

Hi all,

I was thinking about buying the octane V however, I've never used this company before. Here are my specs

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache

down_right_arrow.gif
Get Total War: Three Kingdoms & More w/ select Intel CPUs!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive
250GB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 330W AC Adaptor
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1550 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS, 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS, 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 3 to 5 working days

Now it does come to nealy £1800 which is still cheaper than other retailers, but I'm still unsure. Anyone got experience with this laptop? What are the temps like and is it worth the money? What's the customer service like

Thank you

debiruman665

Enthusiast
With this chassis and an unlocked k series cpu, the onus is kinda on you to set the performance and temps to how you want.

People on the forum will be glad to help you out when it comes to it.

you can run the thing blazing hot at 100C thermal throttling and getting close the 5GHz

or you can rein it in and choose a lower clock speed for lower temps.

K series chips are flexible that way

sirneil

I know about throttlestop, currently I have and MSI GL62 and underclock my CPU to about 93% anyway. I was more wondering if 1800 is worth the price and how good the company is.

Thanks for the reply.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
"worth the price" is ultimately up to you. :)

The point of the Octane is that it packs desktop CPUs into a laptop chassis. So, does what you use the laptop for really benefit from a desktop CPU, if so by how much over a laptop CPU (e.g. 9750H) and is that additional performance something you're prepared to pay £XXX for.

What do you use the laptop for, exactly?

If it's just generic gaming, then the Vortex chassis would be a better bet, as it has a powerful laptop CPU, can probably net you an RTX 2070 for the same price as the spec above or less, and still sports gsync.

As for the company, this is their forums. They're fine with honest, even very robust criticism, but ultimately most people posting on the forums will be pleased with the company. Otherwise why would they stick around :)

Therefore, don't just take what people here say into account. You can look at third party review websites like Trustpilot. And then compare the overall scores to other storefronts you might be looking at and make your mind up as to whether they appear reputable and people you're happy giving your money to. My own personal experiences have been that PCS are honest, will honour their warranties, and go further than they strictly have to with warranties to keep people happy and ensure satisfied people. They're not a global brand like Dell, Asus, but they are a major company (they sell across Europe), and reliable for the goods they provide and the after-sales support.

These forums often result in people being recommended more cost-effective, better value, and/or more futureproof specs than what they'd buy left to their own devices (e.g. our conversation above about whether the Octane is the right choice for you). I assume PCS are happy with that because it leaves clients more satisfied with the purchase, and more likely to buy again or encourage others to shop here. They seem to value return custom / customer recommendations to other customers more than making a big, upfront sale.

Last edited:

sirneil

"worth the price" is ultimately up to you. :)

The point of the Octane is that it packs desktop CPUs into a laptop chassis. So, does what you use the laptop for really benefit from a desktop CPU, if so by how much over a laptop CPU (e.g. 9750H) and is that additional performance something you're prepared to pay £XXX for.

What do you use the laptop for, exactly?

If it's just generic gaming, then the Vortex chassis would be a better bet, as it has a powerful laptop CPU, can probably net you an RTX 2070 for the same price as the spec above or less, and still sports gsync.

As for the company, this is their forums. They're fine with honest, even very robust criticism, but ultimately most people posting on the forums will be pleased with the company. Otherwise why would they stick around :)

Therefore, don't just take what people here say into account. You can look at third party review websites like Trustpilot. And then compare the overall scores to other storefronts you might be looking at and make your mind up as to whether they appear reputable and people you're happy giving your money to. My own personal experiences have been that PCS are honest, will honour their warranties, and go further than they strictly have to with warranties to keep people happy and ensure satisfied people. They're not a global brand like Dell, Asus, but they are a major company (they sell across Europe), and reliable for the goods they provide and the after-sales support.

These forums often result in people being recommended more cost-effective, better value, and/or more futureproof specs than what they'd buy left to their own devices (e.g. our conversation above about whether the Octane is the right choice for you). I assume PCS are happy with that because it leaves clients more satisfied with the purchase, and more likely to buy again or encourage others to shop here. They seem to value return custom / customer recommendations to other customers more than making a big, upfront sale.

Helpful, thanks!

How is the vortex? Have you used it before?

My interest is only for gaming.