Octane Vi, 1 year later - it runs... cooler???

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Compared to when i first got this machine the blower was practically on all the time and idle it the 9900k was hitting close to 80c when idle. Over time it sort of calmed down, and its as silent as a ninja unless I'm doing anything that is taking up a lot of processing power. It idles on about 40c now. I put the settings back to stock values of 50x 50x, 49x, 49x, 48x, 48x, 47x, 47x and it only jumped up to 50c.

Not really an issue with me but I'm curious to know what people think might be the cause behind it? Better driver support? Does the paste age like a fine wine?

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
If anything i would've thought the temps would creep up over time? Paste degrades anyway and I've heard a few mention on here that you have to repaste the chip every year add in the dust intake. But glad your machine is calming itself down :). I have the same case but the 9700K as i didnt want to faff about with undervolting the chip.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Paste will deteriorate over time. Are those temps when idle? It’s when under load that you need to take temps really.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
80 at idle was broken. 40 at idle is more like what I would expect, between 40 and 50 for the 9900K is probably acceptable.

If it was 80 when you got it and it lowered then it's likely bedding in with the heatsink/paste/etc. It will definitely deteriorate over time though. A decent paste would need changed every 6-12 months. The cheap tacky ones, that don't cool as well, tend to be able to last a little longer.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Hmmm I wonder what my temps will be if I re paste now
Paste will deteriorate over time. Are those temps when idle? It’s when under load that you need to take temps really.

it will be 100c every-time, because the chip can't reach max performance because of the cooling bottleneck.

Are there any guides to re-pasting this specific model? There isn't anything like that in the docs I got from PCS when I bought it. I'm likely due a repasting then, I've had to open it up and blow some compressed air through the heat-sinks once or twice in the same time.

I'm sort of nervous of doing this kind of perceived dangerous stuff.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hmmm I wonder what my temps will be if I re paste now

it will be 100c every-time, because the chip can't reach max performance because of the cooling bottleneck.

Are there any guides to re-pasting this specific model? There isn't anything like that in the docs I got from PCS when I bought it. I'm likely due a repasting then, I've had to open it up and blow some compressed air through the heat-sinks once or twice in the same time.

I'm sort of nervous of doing this kind of perceived dangerous stuff.
Repaste first, its very easy, and then you’ll need an undervolt to prevent thermal throttling.

Just do the CPU not the GPU

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Repaste first, its very easy, and then you’ll need an undervolt to prevent thermal throttling.

Just do the CPU not the GPU

I have a single heatsink that comes off in one big chunk and it covers the heatsink and cpu should I just leave the gpu alone or will I need to do that too since I took off the heatsink?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a single heatsink that comes off in one big chunk and it covers the heatsink and cpu should I just leave the gpu alone or will I need to do that too since I took off the heatsink?
You should have 2 cooling lanes, one for gpu and one for cpu? Can you take a photo when it’s uncovered?

debiruman665

Enthusiast
You should have 2 cooling lanes, one for gpu and one for cpu? Can you take a photo when it’s uncovered?

the cpu has a heat pipe connecting to the gpu's heat sink. Not my image, got this from google images

cooler.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
the cpu has a heat pipe connecting to the gpu's heat sink. Not my image, got this from google images

View attachment 16126
If that is the same layout as yours then I guess the whole thing comes off. Seems a bit odd on such a high end chassis.

The GPU will have a thermal PAD on it, not paste, so you shouldn't need to touch that at all, but it will stick to the heatsink so will take a bit of force to remove it.

I think the section on the left is the CPU.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The GPU actually has paste on it too. Directly onto the processor die. Think it's because it's high end DT hardware.

You need to fully re-paste both, same process for both though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The GPU actually has paste on it too. Directly onto the processor die. Think it's because it's high end DT hardware.

You need to fully re-paste both, same process for both though.
Thanks, didn't consider that it was a DTR and may be pasted!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Yeah. It's actually a little daunting to be honest as there isn't a heat spreader on top, like with the CPU :D

Strange taking off the heatsink and seeing an actual die :D