OCTANE VI: Best CPU to go with the RTX 2080? (For Gaming and VR gaming)

theVenerable

Hi
I was very close to getting the vortex (and still may do), but I thought maybe a few extra FPS would be nice with the Octane running a RTX 2080 instead of a 2070.
I was told the highest end CPU available here may not be a good combination in the Octane... So. which CPU is the best choice, with gaming and VR in mind?
Thanks

steaky360

Hi there, do you have a spec in mind for the Octane and a budget? If you can let us know your constraints and any other requirements (if you have any :) you've already said VR and gaming for example) then it'll be easier to give some more feedback.

If you draft your spec, you can click next/continue and then there's an option to format it so its easy to copy it into the forum. It'll even provide a link to that particular spec to make it easier for others to suggest alterations.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
I suggest you brush up on how to deal with overclocking before purchasing the Octane VI with any of the top tier K series CPU's, or you're going to have a hot time.

Out of the box, the Octane will default to the settings that will yield the best benchmarks but your fan will drive you nuts. It requires a lot of tinkering, although that's a lot of fun.

theVenerable

Hi there, do you have a spec in mind for the Octane and a budget? If you can let us know your constraints and any other requirements (if you have any :) you've already said VR and gaming for example) then it'll be easier to give some more feedback.

If you draft your spec, you can click next/continue and then there's an option to format it so its easy to copy it into the forum. It'll even provide a link to that particular spec to make it easier for others to suggest alterations.
As I'm willing to get the 2080 card, I'd like the most suitable CPU to go with it, so budget not an issue.
However it was suggested to me that the I9 CPU would be wasted in this machine?

Thats why I'm here.. I don't want to spend on something that wont be used to it's full potential
Thanks

"Out of the box, the Octane will default to the settings that will yield the best benchmarks but your fan will drive you nuts. It requires a lot of tinkering, although that's a lot of fun."

Really? So the fan is a problem for this model?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It's a tricky question to answer to be fair. I know what I would select given the options but the games you are playing will have an impact on which is "best".

Given the thermal constraints of a laptop to begin with, I would opt for the 9700k CPU. It offers the highest single thread performance you're going to get while gaming anyway so there is little point to go with the 9900k, save for if the games you choose relies on hyperthreading?

There's no real gaming difference between the 2 chips. The 9700k is already more secure and less limited with the thermals. It's cheaper too.

Make sure you have a cooling plate handy and don't expect the same performance as a desktop from it, it's not going to be there.

theVenerable

It's a tricky question to answer to be fair. I know what I would select given the options but the games you are playing will have an impact on which is "best".

Given the thermal constraints of a laptop to begin with, I would opt for the 9700k CPU. It offers the highest single thread performance you're going to get while gaming anyway so there is little point to go with the 9900k, save for if the games you choose relies on hyperthreading?

There's no real gaming difference between the 2 chips. The 9700k is already more secure and less limited with the thermals. It's cheaper too.

Make sure you have a cooling plate handy and don't expect the same performance as a desktop from it, it's not going to be there.
Thanks for the tips.
You think the 17 inch version a better choice than the 15 inch? I guess the bigger body will help with cooling?

Or would the Vortex be a better all round model? I'd have to drop down to a 2070 GPU, but if the machine is better at handling temps and has a more suitable CPU, maybe that's the better choice?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I wouldn't go with a high end 15" laptop, bigger is better when it comes to cooling.

With regards to the Octane vs the Vortex, it depends what you are after really. If you want an actual laptop that's really good for gaming then the Vortex is a great choice. If you want the most powerful you can get in a mobile chassis then the Octane is the choice.

They are completely different horses unfortunately.

The Octane makes sense for VR, intense workloads and the absolute peak of mobile gaming performance. The 2080 is far too much for a 1080p laptop screen though, it only makes sense if you're going to plug in a VR kit or higher end monitor.

I've got the Octane with a 6700k and a GTX1080. It's a great combo but absolutely at the limit of what the chassis can handle heat wise. The 6700k will max out, as will the 7700k, but overclocking past 4.2ghz for any length of time is out due to the power limits built into the BIOS. The 1080 heats up, but even overclocked it stays where I'm comfortable (85°C).

Is a desktop not an option? That way you could have a powerhouse computer and stream to a low end laptop when required.