Octane VI cannot restart on battery

geoiva

I've had the Octane VI for about a week now and spotted a problem when on battery: the laptop will first startup normally. It can work on battery until it's fully drained.

However, if I restart at any point it shuts down and can no longer power up again. Pressing the power on button briefly turns it on and it immediately goes off again (doesn't reach the O/S loading stage).

The problem does not occur if on AC, however... sometimes when I restart (on AC) the laptop will briefly completely turn off and on again and continue normally...

What's going on :-( ??

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The first thing to try is turning off the Windows Fast Startup feature, that does cause some issues on some motherboards. Got to Power Options > Additional Power Settings > Choose What the Power Buttons Do and uncheck Fast Startup. Alternatively disable hibernation altogether (powercfg -h off)

geoiva

Fast Startup is related to the shutdown process, on reboot windows always initialises everything.
Additionally, the inability to power up shouldn't have anything to do with windows settings as it's not controlled by the OS at such an early stage.
I'll give it a try anyway though :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Fast Startup is related to the shutdown process, on reboot windows always initialises everything.
Additionally, the inability to power up shouldn't have anything to do with windows settings as it's not controlled by the OS at such an early stage.
I'll give it a try anyway though :)
That's not true I'm afraid. Fast startup hibernates the kernel even on a full shutdown. As I said, the resume is known to cause issues on some hardware. But if you don't want my help thats fine.

via Tapatalk

geoiva

Unfortunately, turning off fast startup did not help :(
On the 3rd reboot the laptop turned itself off and was unable to power up again.
I also noticed that the same happens every time I exit BIOS settings, always on battery only.
Taking the battery out and then putting it in after a few minutes seems to fix it, or just going back to AC power.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unfortunately, turning off fast startup did not help :(
On the 3rd reboot the laptop turned itself off and was unable to power up again.
I also noticed that the same happens every time I exit BIOS settings, always on battery only.
Taking the battery out and then putting it in after a few minutes seems to fix it, or just going back to AC power.
I’d log a call with PCS, sounds like there’s an issue either with the battery or the battery circuit.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
That's not true I'm afraid. Fast startup hibernates the kernel even on a full shutdown. As I said, the resume is known to cause issues on some hardware. But if you don't want my help that's fine.

via Tapatalk

Thanks for this I've found some weird startup issues myself when I hit shutdown/hibernate and I close over the screen before the shutdown is complete which causes the OS to crash as it tries to boot up windows.

This setting seems pretty dangerous for a laptop where incorrectly flipped bits will introduce tiny corruptions over time that require a restart. If it's hibernating the kernel these imperfections might never go away.

This is why data centers and server racks have hella expensive power supplies to mitigate this from happening.

I'll be turning this one off for myself.