OCTANE VI configuration

agg

Hi guys,

I am think about getting an Octave VI and I would configure it as follows. What do you think? Do you have any suggestion for improvement?
Thanks a lot!

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

agg

Budget? Price? Intended uses / gaming / specific software?

Hi thanks for the reply. Maximum budget is 2708£ (what that specification would cost). Use is intended for gaming and working (Matlab estimations and simulations).

Please let know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Then the spec seems fairly well suited to those uses :)

If Matlab is quite CPU dependent on its performance rather than GPU, and one of the main uses, there could be an argument for dropping the GPU to a 2070 and getting the i9 CPU. Since a 2070 is already plenty for 1080p gaming, even considering the likely lack of laptop upgrade options.

agg

Thanks, I have read about the i9 versus i7-9700k and understood that the i7 would be better as value for money. I have also read about some problems of the i9 with some games..

Stephen M

Author Level
I know people who have used Matlab and it benefits from a good CPU so I think the i9 would be a better choice for you. My experience of Minitab and Veusz (https://veusz.github.io/) suggest going for the best CPU. The i9 in my desk top has been fine, although I am not a gamer so unsure about any problems in that area.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There aren't issues with the i9 and games afaik, unless it's one of those games that instead of seeing a performance gain with hyperthreading sees a performance loss. You still get the odd one. What issues have you heard of?

Ofc Value for Money is an important consideration, but at the same time you're getting an RTX 2080 which might not be top of the list in value :)

It's your call, just make sure you've considered all angles.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
There aren't issues with the i9 and games afaik, unless it's one of those games that instead of seeing a performance gain with hyperthreading sees a performance loss. You still get the odd one. What issues have you heard of?

Ofc Value for Money is an important consideration, but at the same time you're getting an RTX 2080 which might not be top of the list in value :)

It's your call, just make sure you've considered all angles.
For gaming I'd say the i9s main advantage is it does streaming encoding on the cpu better than an nvidea card does on the gpu.