Octane VI | i9 9900k | RTX 2080 | DDR4 3000MHz (He aint heavy, He's my clevo)

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Ok, I'd like to write some informative feedback on this but all I can say is damn... it's heavy. Carrying the package back to work from the DPD pickup, I started to get tired arms. Sitting at a desk with arms outreached you will struggle to lift it off the table, you may pull something in your back. You won't be able to one-hander this off the table. If you dropped it, it may shatter into a million pieces; then again it may go straight through the floor, I'd rather not test my hypothesis either way.

Chassis feels solid, but mostly feels like its got an iron brick inside it. One thing I've yet to see the outcome of is the grills on the back which cover the outlet for the heat sinks. The plastic is very soft and has a fair bit of elasticity which allows them to bend quite far. This is most preferable over having a brittle harder plastic because of just about every single laptop I've ever owned these plastic covers end up breaking in my bag and end up pinging around in the fan rattling the insides. I feel that the metal section that is on the lid could have been done away with; and instead, had these exhausts been made of metal instead like I've seen some other clevo laptops with the SLI GTX. That being said, I'm sure with the plastic being soft and not brittle even if these parts are damage they would likely stay attached to the main chassis and just snap in the middle instead of breaking off completely.

After installing XTU and Clevo Control 2.0 I set up the keyboard and then sort of got stumped and I don't really know what to do here. I can understand the fan profile but so far googling how the CPU, memory and graphics screen work, hasn't really turned up anything substantial other than a few forums. CPU clock stays around 4.9 GHz when idle, should this not be downclocking when not being used? I opened up the power management on the battery menu and selected the balanced mode and the high-performance mode completely disappeared. Did I do something bad here?

Does anyone feel its worth me tinkering with anything in the Clevo control centre in terms of the CPU, and GPU settings?

edit: Oh yeah another thing the Ram seems to be going at nearly 4000MHz in Clevo control (above the cpu meter), Good job guys whoever managed to do that.

Also if anyone could recomend any benches they'd like to see I'll run them when I get home.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Would be interesting to see Cinebench R15 single and multithreaded scores, and the individual scores for Firestrike (3DMark/Overall Score, Graphics Score, Physics Score, Combined Score). :)

debiruman665

Enthusiast
I've noticed my turbo clock speed is no longer 4.9 after installing steam etc and whatnot it seems to be at 4.7 now.

Earlier today I was messing with different battery profiles and discovered I could actually run the system stable for web browsing use etc at 800MHz!!! I'll definitely be using that for long journeys, the voltage was at 0.5V and the battery was gonna last 2.5 hours in that instance.

ok opened up cinebench 15, ran test without changing anything
CPU score: 1685
openGL score: 138.26

changed preferences and set the thread to 1
CPU score: 194

I don't have 3d mark though, not prepared to pay to [removed] lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Go for Download Demo, which I think is code for the 'normal' free version.

You used to be able to just download it from 3DMark, but it seems they've stopped hosting it, steering everyone towards Steam. Other sites like Techpowerup and 3dguru are apparently still hosting though:
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/futuremark-3dmark-timespy-raytracing/
This version won't require Steam afaik.

The Free versions of 3DMark let you run the benchmark on fixed settings, which are the settings everyone uses for comparing systems anyway. The paid versions have some extra features like customising settings and maybe running the bench on a loop, skipping the demo videos, running only parts of the benchmark. I forget what. It's not necessary to pay to bench the system though. :)

debiruman665

Enthusiast
So over the weekend I started messing around with undervolting. Using XTU's stress test I could get it stable all the way down to -125mV. After playing some games I occasionally was getting blue screens and I kind of got sick of slowly incrementing it only to have it blue screen half an hour later so its sitting at -50 for a whole day playing games at ultra setting and no problems. Will set it to -70 and see how that goes.

I actually managed to beat my cinebench scores with the undervolted 125mV CPU but since it wasn't stable for gaming I figured there's no point posting the new scores until I got it very stable. Undervolting the 2080 is useless and it reduces the benching scores (was using kombuster with MSI) I tested this even with tiny undervolts and it affected the score.

A few interesting things I've discovered is:

Unless you have a fresh copy of windows with nothing installed the boost speed with always be at the lowest clock speed for the last core. Meaning on default Clevo settings this will be 4.7GHz. I assume this is because once you have a few things on it is running all cores even if not being stressed.

Setting the max processor state to 99% in the battery power plan will turn off turbo boost and will cap the processor at the stock 3.6Ghz.

Amazingly also by putting the max processor speed down to about 20% I can get the processor run run at 800MHz and ITS STABLE. the computer runs completely fine at this speed for normal use. It runs even better than my i5 quad core that boosts at 2.something Ghz. I've even lightly gamed on Rimworld with this 800MHz speed at it was completely fine.

I've set up 3 power plans:

turbo: max processor state at 100% for a constant 4.7Ghz turbo
Standard: max processor state at 99% for constant 3.6GHz non turbo
Mileage: max processor state at 25% for a constant 900Mhz for normal use and no fan noise. Battery also lasts more than 2 hours at this state

Also warning for anyone messing around with the undervolting and also has overclocked ram. If you managed to cause a blue score the ram profile will default back to stock and disable the XMP. Having the XMP disabled with also cause the clevo control centre to have a different default setting for the processor. After every blue screen I was resetting everything to default in the clevo control centre and it took a few times to figure out why its default settings had suddenly changed (because the XMP was disabled)

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Firestrike score with a -100mv undervolt on the cpu

attached is a graph of some tests I was doing with XTU open so I could monitor the throttling which knocked a few hundred off the score when XTU was on so the values are a little bit lower than my high score.

-100mv seems to be the sweet spot

Attachments

• voltage.PNG
    voltage.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 278
Last edited: