OCTANE VI Temperature Issue

Tholan

Hi,

I have recently been paying a bit more attention to my new laptop and its running temperature.

I noticed at idle, not doing anything the temperature of the CPU sits at around 70C. As soon as i load a game, regardless of which I.E. Hearthstone or CoD:MW the temperature will bounce in the high 90s.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

It is the Intel core i9 9900K @ 3.60GHz.

I have recently brought a laptop cooling tray with build in fans to try and help, this has had little to no effect.

Thanks,

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I have recently been paying a bit more attention to my new laptop and its running temperature.

I noticed at idle, not doing anything the temperature of the CPU sits at around 70C. As soon as i load a game, regardless of which I.E. Hearthstone or CoD:MW the temperature will bounce in the high 90s.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

It is the Intel core i9 9900K @ 3.60GHz.

I have recently brought a laptop cooling tray with build in fans to try and help, this has had little to no effect.

Thanks,
What are you using to record temps?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just

Just using the control center 2 which was pre-installed on the laptop
Just for a second reading, download and install HWMonitor and check GPU and CPU temps with that on idle and under load:

Also, are the fans coming on ok when it's on?

Tholan

ok, at idle the GPU is averaging around 50C and the CPU around 65-70C
Just loading CoD:MW the GPU goes to: 55C and the CPU goes to: 100C

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ok, at idle the GPU is averaging around 50C and the CPU around 65-70C
Just loading CoD:MW the GPU goes to: 55C and the CPU goes to: 100C
Ok, GPU sounds fine, but CPU is far too hot, to the point where a repaste is almost certainly a first point of call.

Firstly though, are the fans definitely coming on for the CPU?

I would suggest removing the cover, then take photos at each stage and remove the CPU heatsink and fan but take photos of it fitted before you do so and then remove it carefully and take photos of the paste that's applied before disturbing it too much. We want this logged to report back to PCS in case something is really wrong.

If you're not sure about any of this, PCS will definitely do it for you under warranty, just give them a call first thing in the morning to arrange an RMA.

It's a pretty straightforward process though.

For paste, I'd recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which you can pick up on amazon or overclockers or Scan (basically anywhere).

Tholan

Ok, GPU sounds fine, but CPU is far too hot, to the point where a repaste is almost certainly a first point of call.

Firstly though, are the fans definitely coming on for the CPU?

I would suggest removing the cover, then take photos at each stage and remove the CPU heatsink and fan but take photos of it fitted before you do so and then remove it carefully and take photos of the paste that's applied before disturbing it too much. We want this logged to report back to PCS in case something is really wrong.

If you're not sure about any of this, PCS will definitely do it for you under warranty, just give them a call first thing in the morning to arrange an RMA.

It's a pretty straightforward process though.

For paste, I'd recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which you can pick up on amazon or overclockers or Scan (basically anywhere).

I thought something like this might be the case, i will speak to PCS first and probably do as you have suggested. I am certain the fans are coming on as the CPU gets hot, that was the first sign to me that something may not be right due to the noise, they are running at 100% as soon as I turn a game on, which as you could imagine, gets pretty loud.

Is there perhaps anything that can be done to set the CPU voltage to help reduce temps?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I thought something like this might be the case, i will speak to PCS first and probably do as you have suggested. I am certain the fans are coming on as the CPU gets hot, that was the first sign to me that something may not be right due to the noise, they are running at 100% as soon as I turn a game on, which as you could imagine, gets pretty loud.

Is there perhaps anything that can be done to set the CPU voltage to help reduce temps?
First thing to do is paste it.

Even with a surplus of voltage, it shouldn't be reaching those temps. First you gotta get the temps as they should be then address an undervolt. Otherwise it's like treating a broken leg with a plaster.

Tholan

I emailed PCS at the same time as making this thread yesterday and this is the reply I got today... worrying?

Thanks for your email and I hope I can address your concerns.

The latest range of i7s and i9s are known for high temperatures, even at idle.

I wouldn’t worry too much about those temperatures as the throttling point is into the high 90s.

if you require any other advice please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best Wishes,

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I emailed PCS at the same time as making this thread yesterday and this is the reply I got today... worrying?
Urm, ok, did you mention to them the actual figures at resting and under load?

we need to address those temps.

Can you post exactly what you asked them?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This is why it's always best to phone PCS. In a phone call you could have pointed out that your idle temp is 70C which is way too hot.

I suggest that you phone PCS and talk through your temperatures with them - especially that idle temp. :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I have to say, it doesn't cover PCS in glory if they listen to you on the phone but don't read your emails properly(!)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
What is the ambient temp? Are you in the UK? Is the laptop sitting on a flat surface, cooling board/tray in place?

I would expect your idle temps to be half that. 40°C would be pushing what I would expect to be honest.

Eeking into the 90s on load is to be expected unfortunately, but this should be after some game time after heat soak rather than immediately turning the game on. I would also expect the 90s to be more akin to stress testing than gaming, depending on the game of course. COD I wouldn't expect to see 100°C on to be honest.

Something seems very wrong with this system.

Could you try a Firestike test? Just the standard HD one (Not extreme or Ultra). There's a free version of 3D mark to test it. I would be amazed if you got anything like the scores you should due to thermal throttling.

Tholan

Hi all, apologies for the delay in response. i have been away so have not had a chance to follow through with anything.

I started Wolcen today and the laptop randomly turned itself off. On reboot, i loaded up CPUID Monitor and all cores were at 99C!! this doesnt feel right.

I have the laptop on a cooling tray with built in fans running.

I will the Firestrike test and report back.

I will also buy some paste and get onto this too, any recommendations on which to get?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all, apologies for the delay in response. i have been away so have not had a chance to follow through with anything.

I started Wolcen today and the laptop randomly turned itself off. On reboot, i loaded up CPUID Monitor and all cores were at 99C!! this doesnt feel right.

I have the laptop on a cooling tray with built in fans running.

I will the Firestrike test and report back.

I will also buy some paste and get onto this too, any recommendations on which to get?
Don't use it for now, those temps are cooking.

Tholan

OK so i jsut ran the Firestrike test and got the following:
Core temp max went to 100C

Graphics score of 13 438
Physics score of 23 289
Combined score of 8 137

Is this what would be expected?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OK so i jsut ran the Firestrike test and got the following:
Core temp max went to 100C

Graphics score of 13 438
Physics score of 23 289
Combined score of 8 137

Is this what would be expected?
It's overheating, don't stress it until the temps are sorted out or you risk damaging the processor and or motherboard.