OCTANE VI Temperature Issue

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I shall ring them tomorrow and also order some thermal paste, i am happy to it myself.
Yeah, it’s very easy to do.

id recommend thermal grizzly kryonaut, it’s about the best for a good paste, you can get it most places including amazon.

Tholan

Spoke with PCS this morning.
They dont think there is a heat problem, this chip is designed to run in around this temperature up to 105C apparently.

They do however think there may be a hardware issue with the random game shutting down every now and then so the laptop is going back for diagnostics and repair this week. 3-4 weeks without a laptop o_O

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Spoke with PCS this morning.
They dont think there is a heat problem, this chip is designed to run in around this temperature up to 105C apparently.

They do however think there may be a hardware issue with the random game shutting down every now and then so the laptop is going back for diagnostics and repair this week. 3-4 weeks without a laptop o_O

I wouldn't be happy with that at all. It's acceptable for it to run at 100°C to PCS' specifications when being torture tested....... not when sitting idling at 70°C is NOT normal.

I get really annoyed when I see these sorts of responses to be honest. It doesn't paint PCS in a good light at all with regards to actual knowledge and understanding of problems.

What did you feed back to them when you were going over the query? Did you explain idle temps and the fact that it immediately peaks at 100°C when doing just about anything with the system?

Tholan

I agree, not overly happy with his response. However they are taking it back for diagnostics etc, so i'd hope someone will understand the problem better there. However, I imagine this is just the start...

I explained everything that has been discussed here, idle temps, peak temps etc.

His response was that the temps are to be expected and if it is over heating there would be MB beeps etc.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I agree, not overly happy with his response. However they are taking it back for diagnostics etc, so i'd hope someone will understand the problem better there. However, I imagine this is just the start...

I explained everything that has been discussed here, idle temps, peak temps etc.

His response was that the temps are to be expected and if it is over heating there would be MB beeps etc.

Proper overheating tends to shut the system down hard with no warning or beeps whatsoever. When re-booting there may be something in the new BIOS firmware that logs this and issues an error warning on the next boot but it certainly doesn't with my Octane or any other system I have owned.

I would remain sceptical with the information garnered from that particular individual, definitely follow through with the return though. That's definitely not right.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would agree with @Scott , this needs to be addressed specifically as an overheating issue causing system instability. It is not ok to palm that off as acceptable temps. You need to stress to the the idle temp. The max temp is fully maxed out and so meaningless but the resting temp is a good 30 degrees at least over what is should be.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member

Hey Tholan,

Sorry to hear about this, could you confirm was this through our webmail system or direct emails to enquiries@? If its enquiries@ then would it be possible to trouble you to forward the emails to me? I can PM you my direct email.

zeeqon

ok shall hold fire on doing anything else then
Yesterday I wrote a "guide" (it's more of a story). I think it would benefit you to take a look. Here's the link:

Tholan

Hi,

So i just got my laptop back from the repair.

here is the comments:

"As previously discussed, we were able to isolate the crashing fault to the GPU. This has now been replaced and this issue has now been resolved.
Additionally, we can also see that when the system is under load it can reach high temperatures. This is due to the limitations of notebook cooling solutions, the system will run hot compared to their desktop counterparts, however, these temperatures are within the safe thermal limits for the components. The manufactures have since confirmed that the chassis' thermal limit is 105 degrees Celsius, and any temperatures below this are within safe usage perimeters."

Thanks for the link above i shall look over it.

On a side note i have "underclocked" my CPU if thats a thing? I have restricted it to 3800 which sees the temps max out at approx. 80C which is much nicer and doesnt seem to cause a noticeable difference in the activities i do on it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

here is the comments:

"As previously discussed, we were able to isolate the crashing fault to the GPU. This has now been replaced and this issue has now been resolved.
Additionally, we can also see that when the system is under load it can reach high temperatures. This is due to the limitations of notebook cooling solutions, the system will run hot compared to their desktop counterparts, however, these temperatures are within the safe thermal limits for the components. The manufactures have since confirmed that the chassis' thermal limit is 105 degrees Celsius, and any temperatures below this are within safe usage perimeters."

On a side note i have "underclocked" my CPU if thats a thing? I have restricted it to 3800 which sees the temps max out at approx. 80C which is much nicer and doesnt seem to cause a noticeable difference in the activities i do on it.
Underclocking is not a fix, it's kind of like addressing a scratch by amputating the leg. You're basically completely nerfing the potential performance, may as well have just bought a low end i5.

Did you tell them about the resting temperatures?

If I were you, I'd take off the underclock, then measure resting temps and under load and report them. If the resting temperatures are still as high, then the issue isn't resolved.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Underclocking is not a fix, it's kind of like addressing a scratch by amputating the leg. You're basically completely nerfing the potential performance, may as well have just bought a low end i5.

Did you tell them about the resting temperatures?

If I were you, I'd take off the underclock, then measure resting temps and under load and report them. If the resting temperatures are still as high, then the issue isn't resolved.

Totally agree, that's such a poor response from PCS. Would it be possible to request a member of staff chime in on this thread with actual information regarding the laptop? This seems like a complete cop-out to me and I'm really disappointed if that's the case.

It absolutely reeks of not taking the time to understand the actual issue and just jumping to a pre-constructed response.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Totally agree, that's such a poor response from PCS. Would it be possible to request a member of staff chime in on this thread with actual information regarding the laptop? This seems like a complete cop-out to me and I'm really disappointed if that's the case.

It absolutely reeks of not taking the time to understand the actual issue and just jumping to a pre-constructed response.
I couldn't agree more. If it's ok with @Tholan I'd like to highlight this to the site admins after we've done some tests? If it results that the resting temps are still as high as they were then the issue has quite clearly been misunderstood from the outset and misdiagnosed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi,

here is the comments:

Did you report that it was 'crashing'? Your problems are overheating so I'm wondering where the PCS technician got the 'crashing' issue (that they 'fixed') from?

Tholan

Just thought i should update you all as you have been so helpful.

I wasnt really getting anywhere with PCS so decided to do as some have suggested here. I replaced the thermal paste with the grizzly kryonauts, I also did the match stick mod to apply more pressure to the heat sink.

Overall there is a noticeable difference in temperature and fan speed. When clocked to default i.e. 4900 the temps idle around 55C and under load max i saw was around 80c. Fan speed obviously much lower too.

Tholan

I couldn't agree more. If it's ok with @Tholan I'd like to highlight this to the site admins after we've done some tests? If it results that the resting temps are still as high as they were then the issue has quite clearly been misunderstood from the outset and misdiagnosed.

feel free to highlight this to the admins etc.

Tholan

Overall the impression and message i get from PCS is that the i9 9900K runs at a hot temperature in comparison to i7. Due to being in a laptop there is not a sufficient method to keep it cool, therefore PCS are happy to have this running at around 95C to 100C.

If this was advertised when i bought it with this information and the fact the fans would sit at 100% constantly i would have gone for a different setup completely.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As previously stated.... the 95 to 100 isn't really the point of contention. I'm not surprised by 95C at high end usage..... it's always been the idle temps that's the issue and what needed to be focused on.

Glad you managed to get a better result though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Overall the impression and message i get from PCS is that the i9 9900K runs at a hot temperature in comparison to i7. Due to being in a laptop there is not a sufficient method to keep it cool, therefore PCS are happy to have this running at around 95C to 100C.

If this was advertised when i bought it with this information and the fact the fans would sit at 100% constantly i would have gone for a different setup completely.
That wasn’t the issue, the high temps will always hit 100c on that chassis with that cpu, and any chassis with that cpu. You HAVE to apply an undervolt to get it within thermal limits, BUT there’s no point applying an undervolt until thermals are within normal ranges. The testing temps on yours showed conclusively that it wasn’t pasted correctly. That needed addressing before doing anything else.