OCTANE VI Temperature Issue

Tholan

I did a very similar message, see below:

I have been paying a bit more attention to the laptop I bought recently whilst playing games and reviewing the control centre 2.0.

I have noticed that the laptop CPU temp idles at approx. 70C, as soon as I load a game, even something like hearthstone the temperature will bounce in the high 90C with the fans on 100%.

I have purchased a laptop tray with built in fans so the intake on the bottom of the laptop are not blocked by anything, this has had very little impact.

Can you tell me if this is usual for the i9 9900K processors? Is this laptop designed to run at this temperature, feels very close to overheating and causing damage to me... Are there any settings I can adjust in the CPU to reduce the temperature?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I did a very similar message, see below:

I have been paying a bit more attention to the laptop I bought recently whilst playing games and reviewing the control centre 2.0.

I have noticed that the laptop CPU temp idles at approx. 70C, as soon as I load a game, even something like hearthstone the temperature will bounce in the high 90C with the fans on 100%.

I have purchased a laptop tray with built in fans so the intake on the bottom of the laptop are not blocked by anything, this has had very little impact.

Can you tell me if this is usual for the i9 9900K processors? Is this laptop designed to run at this temperature, feels very close to overheating and causing damage to me... Are there any settings I can adjust in the CPU to reduce the temperature?
IMHO (and I'm going to upset PCS here), the thing that's significant on your build is the idle temperature at 70c. The reason why I say this is as follows.

We would expect thermal throttling ie 100c when under load on the Octane with almost any CPU. That's completely expected.

BUT, ON IDLE we SHOULD be expecting mid 40's to mid 50's IMHO.

70C on idle is COMPLETELY unacceptable and suggests a defective paste application or a problem with the heatsink placement.

The first place we would aim to address this would be to repaste.

Once we get that idle temp down and we're happy it's cooling optimally, we can then look towards an undervolt to bring down the load temps under thermal throttling values.