Octane VI USB-C issue

leobie

Hello everyone,

I've had an Octane VI (I think, PM775TM1 barebone) laptop for almost 2 years and it's been running without any issues so far.

Only now have I tried to connect a device through the USB-C ports only to find out that both of them do not work. They do provide power, but devices are not recognized in any way. They do work fine if connected through USB-A ports, though.

I have tried to enable and disable Thunderbolt support, but this has not changed anything.

Does anyone have similar experiences or, better yet, a solution?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Leo

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I did just a standard install
What do you mean by that though, was it a reset from within windows or did you use installation media?

And what do you mean no special drivers, do you mean you haven't installed any of the drivers for the chassis?

leobie

I just installed Windows from disc and did regular updates since. I just installed the Clevo control software, all other drivers provided through Windows update, except of course Nvidia drivers.

I didn't install Intel Management Interface IIRC

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just installed Windows from disc and did regular updates since. I just installed the Clevo control software, all other drivers provided through Windows update, except of course Nvidia drivers.

I didn't install Intel Management Interface IIRC
Cool, thanks, that's what I needed.

Can you get the clevo model number from the underside of the laptop? There should be a label with notebook computer or something like that and a model number, if you can post that.

What USB C device are you connecting BTW?

leobie

It's a P775TM1. I'm connecting a USB monitor, but I've also tried my mobile phone. The problem stays the same. Both devices connect fine to standard ports, but are not recognized on USB-C. They are powered, though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's a P775TM1. I'm connecting a USB monitor, but I've also tried my mobile phone. The problem stays the same. Both devices connect fine to standard ports, but will not be recognized on USB-C. They will be powered, though.
One sec, there may be an updated chipset driver which is required, I’ll just have a look on clevo.

leobie

I followed the steps as instructed, but unfortunately, the ports still don't work for me ;(

Device manager says I have an Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller, shouldn't that be 3.1?

leobie

I tried both the phone (Huawei P30 Pro) and the screen, both don't work. As before, they are powered, but nothing else.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I tried both the phone (Huawei P30 Pro) and the screen, both don't work. As before, they are powered, but nothing else.
The included huawei cable is only usb 2 so won’t work into a usb c port:

Type-C,USB 3.1 GEN1*
*This function should be used with the USB 3.1 GEN1 cable (non-standard USB cable, need to be purchased separately) that supports this function.
*The standard USB cable supports USB 2.0.

And what screen are you trying to use? What make and model?

leobie

It is an ASUS Zen Screen (MB16A) that comes with its own USB-C cable with a USB A adapter. USB-C does work on another machine, but with this one, it only works with the adapter on a USB A port.

Thus, I am pretty sure the problem is with the USB ports or the driver, not with the devices I'm trying to connect.

So far, I've also tried enabling and disabling Thunderbolt in BIOS, to no avail.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It is an ASUS Zen Screen (MB16A) that comes with its own USB-C cable with a USB A adapter. USB-C does work on another machine, but with this one, it only works with the adapter on a USB A port.

Thus, I am pretty sure the problem is with the USB ports or the driver, not with the devices I'm trying to connect.

So far, I've also tried enabling and disabling Thunderbolt in BIOS, to no avail.
Like I said the phone will only charge under USB C unless you've got the special cable for data connections, so that's not an issue.

With the screen, have you installed the drivers for it?

leobie

It doesn't need any drivers. It works on another machine attached to a USB C port without any issues, as well as on the one in question with the included USB-C to USB-A adapter.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It doesn't need any drivers. It works on another machine attached to a USB C port without any issues, as well as on the one in question with the included USB-C to USB-A adapter.
Just try installing the driver from here: