Odd Folder

sted

Rising Star
I've gotten up today and found a folder in my secondary drive:

View attachment 3475

I've not the slightest clue where it's from, or how it got there. It was marked as empty and took up no space, clicking it said I need permission to open (scanned with the anti-virus, all okay according) - So I open it to find that it had an executable file within, named 'MRT' (I think that was it). The folder shown a small lock symbol when I returned to the parent folder, so I've sent it to the Recycle Bin and I'm running a scan on the PC - It's showing that it takes 74MB inside the bin.

It says it was created today at 00:32, the only thing that's happened around that time was a Windows update, which there were 16 that started installing when I was shutting the PC down, about that time.

Anyone have any clues as to what it may be?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
A Google search revealed that mrt.exe is the Microsoft Removal Tool that was run during your latest Windows update. According to this site it's safe to delete.

sted

Rising Star
Oh, that's great then. I was getting paranoid, thankfully with no need to be. I've changed my Windows Updates to let me know of new ones now that I confirm to download and install, so I at least have an idea where things like this may come from in future, if any other such thing may appear.

I got paranoid because it's not a usual occurrence I notice any folders from Windows Updates on the second HDD. :/