Odd one - RGB on Mouse (Razer Mamba)

• Thread starter Deleted member 17413
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17413

Ive had the mouse a good few years, but im not convinced its hardware.
I have the Mamba Elite, so choice of docking station/wireless and wired, and it runs off razer synapse 2.0.

Has been working fine, RGB following profile switches, device all up to date etc and then there was a windows update today

update history.JPG

And then I noticed the lights on the mouse had gone off.
I had Synapse set so the docking station copies the mouse, and it was on wireless via the dock. If I put the mouse on the dock, the lighting works and it goes into charging mode (Lights display current charge/charging effect)
Plugged it in directly no change, rebooted pc no change, checked for more updates and none there. Put dock to one side and kept mouse wired.
So I removed synapse, rebooted, no change still doesnt light up (used to just have a default lighting before without software)
Reinstalled synapse, no change. Went back to settings in synapse and changed the dock so it acts independently. Dock works fine, lights work, mouse still not playing but will still show if sat on dock.

Im thinking theres something either in the mouse itself gone that relays to the lights what to do, and the dock uses a secondary connection when it does the charging display, of theres some very strange clash with the windows update today, I noticed it shortly after (didnt really look at it during update itself to know for sure). (Did check all updates, only the windows quality updates and a security update today)

Bit confused, the mouse works just fine other than that, only lighting seems affected, Ive tried also with the mouse itself turned off when wired just in case it made a difference but nothing.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ive had the mouse a good few years, but im not convinced its hardware.
I have the Mamba Elite, so choice of docking station/wireless and wired, and it runs off razer synapse 2.0.

Has been working fine, RGB following profile switches, device all up to date etc and then there was a windows update today

View attachment 24944

And then I noticed the lights on the mouse had gone off.
I had Synapse set so the docking station copies the mouse, and it was on wireless via the dock. If I put the mouse on the dock, the lighting works and it goes into charging mode (Lights display current charge/charging effect)
Plugged it in directly no change, rebooted pc no change, checked for more updates and none there. Put dock to one side and kept mouse wired.
So I removed synapse, rebooted, no change still doesnt light up (used to just have a default lighting before without software)
Reinstalled synapse, no change. Went back to settings in synapse and changed the dock so it acts independently. Dock works fine, lights work, mouse still not playing but will still show if sat on dock.

Im thinking theres something either in the mouse itself gone that relays to the lights what to do, and the dock uses a secondary connection when it does the charging display, of theres some very strange clash with the windows update today, I noticed it shortly after (didnt really look at it during update itself to know for sure). (Did check all updates, only the windows quality updates and a security update today)

Bit confused, the mouse works just fine other than that, only lighting seems affected, Ive tried also with the mouse itself turned off when wired just in case it made a difference but nothing.
What driver updates have applied in windows update?

D

Deleted member 17413

IFBpvli.jpg

No new drivers since the 10th. Ive checked up on when i bought it, its 4 years old...and you cant buy them anymore now!
If it is the windows updates, I dont really want to be ignoring that to preserve some lighting on a mouse either really...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
IFBpvli.jpg

No new drivers since the 10th. Ive checked up on when i bought it, its 4 years old...and you cant buy them anymore now!
If it is the windows updates, I dont really want to be ignoring that to preserve some lighting on a mouse either really...
I would try uninstalling that latest 20H2 update, or roll back if you've got save points configured.

Test that, at least that would prove if it's the update or not, then you should be able to google that specific update for any known issues.

Does sound a bit of a coincidence and likely that it's that particular update causing the issue.

Definitely a weird one.

D

Deleted member 17413

When I go to look at just removing todays updates though, it wont let me remove the quality update, the uninstall button does show
TcakMdM.jpg

D

Deleted member 17413

It made no difference :( had a restore point for before any updates today (so back to when it was def working)
Im guessing the lighting is dead...and the charging thing (even though same lights) is routed through the device differently somehow.
Its just odd. And a shame... I cant replace it like for like and im really fond of it

D

Deleted member 17413

It gets even stranger @SpyderTracks
So, found a post relating to a -very- similar sounding bug back from 2016 on Razers forum pages here

Following one of the posts about a work around... its got it working when its wired up, but not when using the dock...
There seems to be some sort of glitch with Chroma/synapse 2.0 and the Razer Mamba RGB Pro... what I dont get is how ive gone 4 years and first time ive seen it is today...

I cant seem to undo whatever has happened completely... which confused me even more seen as i rolled back drivers and reinstalled and removed updates etc trying to find a fix... and this workaround just screams at me its software, not hardware failure, but at least its working wired up for now. Its not a huge deal the mouse itself works just fine, but i use the lights for profile indicators etc and the RGB was a big factor in buying it...
I can see myself replacing the mouse sooner rather than later, fingers crossed for a Razer Mamba RGB Pro Re-Release...

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
It gets even stranger @SpyderTracks
So, found a post relating to a -very- similar sounding bug back from 2016 on Razers forum pages here

Following one of the posts about a work around... its got it working when its wired up, but not when using the dock...
There seems to be some sort of glitch with Chroma/synapse 2.0 and the Razer Mamba RGB Pro... what I dont get is how ive gone 4 years and first time ive seen it is today...

I cant seem to undo whatever has happened completely... which confused me even more seen as i rolled back drivers and reinstalled and removed updates etc trying to find a fix... and this workaround just screams at me its software, not hardware failure, but at least its working wired up for now. Its not a huge deal the mouse itself works just fine, but i use the lights for profile indicators etc and the RGB was a big factor in buying it...
I can see myself replacing the mouse sooner rather than later, fingers crossed for a Razer Mamba RGB Pro Re-Release...
That’s a bizarre sequence of events, seriously befuddling.

Eeesh... The Mamba is by all accounts a fantastic mouse, that must be like losing a family member. Keep it to one side and see what happens with future firmware rollouts.

And, dare I ask, what mouse do you think you’ll try next?

D

Deleted member 17413

I'd be loathe to leave it behind really... its working, lights work if wired, and the dock lights up but not the mouse itself if wireless but still works other than that. I remember the first day I got it and it was like it -floated- across a mouse mat, perfect fit for my palm and just felt like quality.

I'd be great if they re-release the whole Mamba range but dont think that will happen. Theres a more modern Mamba but only a base model, I'd lose 2 buttons and the RGB features, actual design is a little different too.
Had a Look at the Razer Basilisk ultimate... I remember from before though when I got the viper last year, it felt cheap and nasty to hold, and the clicks were plastic like with the optical rather than mechanical switches. Basilisk is a better weight, but stil optical switches in the full-fat model (X Hyperspeed model is much cheaper, but mechanical switches, less features though..no RGB...)

I really dont know, nothing jumps out at me at the moment, I think ive been spoilt with having the Mamba RGB Pro.
Corsair Ironclaw possible bet, looked at a dark core before as well but reviews werent so great.
Roccat arent making one I like the look of anymore, steelseries rival 7 reviews well... I think it would be a case of actually going shopping for one and getting my hands on it, I cant order a new mouse through amazon each week until I find one I like lol

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I cant order a new mouse through amazon each week until I find one I like lol
It’s such a personal thing. My old Logitech mouse had a serious amount of heft to it and it’s taken me ages to get used to my new and lighter Corsair, even with me adding the maximum extra weights they provide.

@SpyderTracks, didn’t you get a new Razr mouse recently?

D

Deleted member 17413

He got a Deathadder V2, quite a few similarities to the Mamba but couple less buttons.
Its a solid mouse, but still a step down in my opinion.

I started with a Roccat Kova, call it a gateway mouse... Mamba was next step up and i've never looked back.
We'll see, Ive probably got enough time that I can wait see what releases come in teh next 6 months or so. Synapse 2.0 is now out of support so might be what is at the core of it... in which case it wouldnt surprise me if other things start popping up as time goes by
4 years is not so bad, I was hoping for 5 so might get close still :)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
He got a Deathadder V2, quite a few similarities to the Mamba but couple less buttons.
Its a solid mouse, but still a step down in my opinion.

I started with a Roccat Kova, call it a gateway mouse... Mamba was next step up and i've never looked back.
We'll see, Ive probably got enough time that I can wait see what releases come in teh next 6 months or so. Synapse 2.0 is now out of support so might be what is at the core of it... in which case it wouldnt surprise me if other things start popping up as time goes by
4 years is not so bad, I was hoping for 5 so might get close still :)
So... you don’t want an Amiga mouse for your birthday present this year?

CE6CBA67-E4FA-4DAB-85D1-8FDD41BF6279.jpeg

Caydrums

I know this is primarily a troubleshooting post but I can't help plugging the Logitech Pro X SUPERLIGHT... For my money the best mouse about right now and it's top of my list after trying it out a while ago. For now, I'm stuck with the Death Adder Elite V1!

Jordan.J

Hey all,

I have this same issue on my Razer Mamba 2015, lights work when wired but not when wireless but the pointer will still move. Has anyone found a fix yet? I was thinking you can go into device manager and manually install a driver for the mouse. Anyone know the last known working driver so I can test? Only just got this mouse and instantly not working.