office ; possible to move?

helkav

I am thinking of adding in office 2013 to my purchase, only for convenience in sourcing the licence. I don't want it for my new PC, I want to move it to another one. Has anyone done this?
is it a bad idea?
would I be better getting a seperate copy?

(so many qs =;-)

anyhow would be grateful for any feedback / info people can give

thanks

helkav

no I really don't want it - I want to make a 1 time payment, and don't hold with all this new-fangled cloud malarky :sailor:

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Don't believe you can transfer office to new computers, unless using office 365.

It works the same as standard office but you can have it on multiple devices and it's transferable

helkav

I use both LibreOffice and OpenOffice. just wanted to get a kosher copy of office for my old computer when I buy the new one. sod it, I will take it off the order and continue with the open source stuff ;

sheez MS are REALLY good at putting off potential customers aren't they?

mishra

Rising Star
Office 365 could be an option. You do have to pay on a subscription basis tho, but you can have it installed on up to 5 computers (not sure 100% it, but I'm sure it's more than 3). Anyway, you can use Office 365 without the "cloud" stuff. It just works as normal office.

But if you do not want subscription based Office 365 then buy retail version of Office 2013. Could you buy Retail copy from PCS and ask them not to install it. So then you can install it on your other PC?

btw: It is possible to move office to from one PC to another. It used to be illegal but M$soft change their business model, and I believe it is do'able. It is far simpler tho to get a Retail version and just install from scratch on a new PC rather than try to move it, and contact M$soft in order to activate on new PC.