Oh McDonalds...

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
One winter I went to my GP to get my flu jab and popped into the McDonald's just up the road for breakfast. They were just finishing up serving, so I got myself a double sausage and egg mcmuffin with cheese and took a seat. While I was eating, one of the staff came over with a tray of hash browns they were giving away as they were no longer serving breakfast. I must have grabbed half a dozen!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
One winter I went to my GP to get my flu jab and popped into the McDonald's just up the road for breakfast. They were just finishing up serving, so I got myself a double sausage and egg mcmuffin with cheese and took a seat. While I was eating, one of the staff came over with a tray of hash browns they were giving away as they were no longer serving breakfast. I must have grabbed half a dozen!
Need more than a flu jab after that....................

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You've got to customise your breakfast...try a triple sausage and double-egg (about £1 more)...and tell them you want it S-E-S-E-S not S-S-S-E-E!

There was a 'hack/tip' a few years back, where it was cheaper to buy a single sausage & egg and add another sausage...or 2 or 3...I may or may not have taken advantage of that for a few months 🤤

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Bacon Roll with Ketchup + add a sausage.. TOP tier :) or if I'm feeling lazy ill just order the breakfast roll.

Trying the chicken big mac tonight after work.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Not the biggest Maccas fan, will say I enjoy their greasy hollow spudless salty chips though. Their coffee is also great but outside of that I could take or leave it

I crave pizza more than any other food though, it is honestly the greatest food conception ever conceived and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Bacon Roll with Ketchup + add a sausage.. TOP tier :) or if I'm feeling lazy ill just order the breakfast roll.

Trying the chicken big mac tonight after work.
Would love to hear the feedback on the chicken big mac!

We normally have some kind of takeaway on a Friday or Saturday - Dad's tested positive for Covid, so our usual delivery driver is off the road, so tempted to get something delivered and might go down the Big Mac route if they're any good

CMP01

Enthusiast
Sausage and Egg McMuffin was my go to for years (should I ever be near a McD's at that ungodly hour) but then they came up with the bagel version. Two of those and I'm good for anything until dinner.

As for McD fries, they're the best with the caveat that you get the more recently done, hot and well crisped ones. Conversely, not many things are worse than the underdone, long past cooked wet noodle fries. BK, in my experience at least, are more consistent in this.
Finally, Selects beat McNugs every time, QP with cheese (or more extras and fresher if ordered on premises) beat all other McD burgers... but again, BK do their own thing here better on average.

All told though, and for all things fast and foodish, we are lucky around here to have several smaller places that give the big boys a run for their money.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
All told though, and for all things fast and foodish, we are lucky around here to have several smaller places that give the big boys a run for their money.
Pizza is very much my thing, and I very much agree with you on the smaller places. There's a Papa John's near to me which used to be really good, but I don't know if the franchise owner changed or what, but they're massively inconsistent with the quality and have been for a few years. When they're good, it's really top notch pizza, but it's also absolute garbage at times too.

On the other hand, there's a small pizza place by us which is consistenly 8/10, We tend to go the local one!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Pizza is very much my thing, and I very much agree with you on the smaller places. There's a Papa John's near to me which used to be really good, but I don't know if the franchise owner changed or what, but they're massively inconsistent with the quality and have been for a few years. When they're good, it's really top notch pizza, but it's also absolute garbage at times too.

On the other hand, there's a small pizza place by us which is consistenly 8/10, We tend to go the local one!
Local Pizza places get a hell yeah, Little Italy and Paolos Pizzas have been staples in my city for decades and they are consistently top notch. There are a couple of really authentic naples joints here too which are fantastic too for that specific style which happens to my fav

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
There's a Papa John's near to me which used to be really good, but I don't know if the franchise owner changed or what, but they're massively inconsistent with the quality and have been for a few years. When they're good, it's really top notch pizza, but it's also absolute garbage at times too.

I’ve never been wowed by anything from numerous branches of Papa John’s. And that garlic sauce they do is an abomination.

I’ve got a decent sized pizza stone and Mrs C makes excellent dough so we make our own fairly regularly.

Still enjoy a dirty Dominos every now and then, though.

As for the original subject matter, I may pick up one of these chicken Big Mac things at the weekend and let you know what I think 👍

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Would love to hear the feedback on the chicken big mac!

We normally have some kind of takeaway on a Friday or Saturday - Dad's tested positive for Covid, so our usual delivery driver is off the road, so tempted to get something delivered and might go down the Big Mac route if they're any good

Bang average, it could be because it was a little cool. I picked it up and drove for another 15 mins but IMO the big mac sauce doesn't go well with the crispy fried exterior of the chicken patties. I should have gone double big mac instead :D

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve never been wowed by anything from numerous branches of Papa John’s. And that garlic sauce they do is an abomination.

I’ve got a decent sized pizza stone and Mrs C makes excellent dough so we make our own fairly regularly.

Still enjoy a dirty Dominos every now and then, though.

As for the original subject matter, I may pick up one of these chicken Big Mac things at the weekend and let you know what I think 👍
Papa Johns... It was hyped so hard that for the first time in 30 years i tried Papa Johns but man D tier. F tier for their "garlic" sauce.

Papa John's garlic sauce is just marg, same as their garlic bread.

Much rather make my own

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I used to love Papa John's (about 20 years ago), but they went downhill, and Domino's became my 'go to' pizza place in Liverpool.

I can't stand any of the stuffed crust rubbish though - tasteless cheese/sausage in an invariably undercooked dough is not my idea of tasty.

A nice large double-pepperoni with jalapeños on Italian base is fine for me.

The only other place I really get pizza is when I'm skiing in the US/Canada, or driving at the Nurburgring in Germany. There's a place in Adenau called Pinnochio's where they do a 60cm family-size pizza for €25 which just about fits on the table.

CMP01

Enthusiast
I dunno about Papa John's. We had one down in town here (Egham fwiw) that was pretty good for a while. That'd be for pizza only, not sides, which weren't great tbh... they had two; a meaty feasty thing and a sausage and pepperoni with 6 cheeses that were both super. The dough was nicer than Domino's too. I think management or some other thing changed and... well, no more PJ's for me. Plenty other takeaway places besides but then this is a university town only spitting distance from Greater London's boundary.

We do like our Domino's here though, despite having other options. Tbh we probably get too many takeaways delivered on average but for us it's as much a lifesaver as it is a treat. As much as I like to cook us up meals, illness and other responsibilities can often means that's too much load at the end of the day. Still, we mean to use this year to make good changes to our habits as well as set our home and garden up for the years ahead (while we plan and save up towards our dream to move to Somerset) To that end we have invested into a workable kitchen and appliances... crockpot, air fryer etc.

I will give a shout out for Hello Fresh though. Such a great idea, especially for us... we get a good meal, often something new, and through cooking them I'm learning new recipes and expanding my skills.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Little known secret for southerners.

If you're ever near a remote village called Liphook in Hampshire, they have a little Italian place that does awesome Pizza's and main dishes called Guido's. It's spoilt everywhere else I've ever been to, not just for pizza's but for italian food in general.

Salmon Fisher

Enthusiast
FWIW I used to work for an Italian food manufacturer, one, but only one of my memorable days was when we were looking at selling pizza. I spent an entire afternoon in a pizza manufacturers test kitchen in Naples just eating fresh cooked samples. "Yes, very nice, although, let's try that first one again?"

Lost a few shirt buttons that day! Glorious!

Salmon Fisher

Enthusiast
Little known secret for southerners.

If you're ever near a remote village called Liphook in Hampshire, they have a little Italian place that does awesome Pizza's and main dishes called Guido's. It's spoilt everywhere else I've ever been to, not just for pizza's but for italian food in general.
Next time I'm in Soldridge I'll have to give it a look see.