Old Nokia Lumia 1520 updating to Windows 10 mobile

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So long story short, I tend to keep a few old mobile that I think are really groundbreaking devices.

I have an old Nokia Lumia 1520 which was the phablet flagship back in November 2013, it was the largest display at the time at 6" 1080p.

Back then it was sporting windows mobile 8.0, then eventually updated to 8.1 before Microsoft pulled the plug.

App support was never really there, and that was really what dragged it down into obliteration, but the OS itself was imho the best of the lot.

Now, I'm on the verge of upgrading my phone, I'm still on an iPhone XS Plus which is now 3 years old, longest time I've used the same phone, the battery has had it and needs charging twice a day. Still a great phone, but I'm so bored with iPhones, they've been incredibly stagnant for 5 years or so now, it's time for a change.

When the new iPhones get announced in September, prices for recycling old models will bottom out, and this one still fetches a reasonable price, so I'm looking to sell it now.

So in the meantime I thought I'd dig out this old Nokia and see if I could get it functional, if only just for calls to see me through for a few weeks.

Turns out, Microsoft actually seem to have kept updating this model which I was completely unaware of, there's a recentish update to Windows mobile 10 which was released in 2019 and then they fully dropped support in early 2020.

What a bonus! So hopefully I can get some fairly decent app support as well just to see me through for a few weeks.

Build quality of these phones was second to none, and I utterly adore the simplistic interface, it's such a shame they had to drop it, they really dropped the ball with getting developers on board early on, it could have been such a different story.

IMG_2026.JPEG

IMG_2027.JPEG

IMG_2028.JPEG