Old PCS build new psu installation advice Corsair TX650m

films&games

Enthusiast
Hi,

My current PC which is 7 years old needed a new psu the power switch failed. I purchased a Corsair TX650M to replace the existing Corsair TX650 V2-80 enthusiast series.

Would anyone be able give me some advice on how to install this in relation to connecting it to the different drives, etc?

My case is PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE (big side fan).
My motherboard is a ASUS® P8Z68-V LX.

I have two optical drives: a DVD writer and Blu-ray writer.
A Seagate Barracuda SATA-III 3.5 HDD.
2GB AMD RADEON™ HD6950 graphics card.
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER.

Any advice would be appreciated, please.

Thank you.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think this is a picture of the PSU side connectors:

476078_290882_04_front_zoom.jpg

1/. The motherboard itself plugs into the big power strip. Be a little careful when inserting, it only goes one way (check the shapes of the connectors vs the input slot on the board) but needs quite a firm push to get it in properly. Sometimes it will require the little secondary 4 pin connector which kinda merges with the main connector. This will be hard wired to the PSU.

100401701-pc-motherboard-power-cables-and-connectors.jpg

2/. Then you have the CPU power usually at the top of the motherboard and usually 8pin. (This is also hard wired to the PSU)
cp-8920115_eps_12v_cpu_conn.png.e9b9d9c97a5b3e8fd8202ce59eb59d13.png

3/. Case fans will usually connect via old Molex connectors, so you should have some included (Peripheral and SATA output on PSU)

Molex_female_connector.jpg

3/. The graphics card connectors are usually labelled on the PSU as PCIe, you need to make sure it's the right outputs. It will usually be a 6+2 pin config and depending on the GPU may require 2 inputs (6+2 PCIe output on PSU)

PCIE-862FF-XX-PCI-Express-8p-Female-to-6p-Female-2p-Female-Power-Adapter-Cable-004.jpg

4/. So any SATA device such as optical drives, HDD's and internal card reader would all connect to sata power strips. (Peripheral and SATA output on PSU)

PWR-SATA-MOLEX_1000-2.jpg

I would personally stick SATA disk drives on one strip, and card reader and optical drives on another.

Last edited:

films&games

Enthusiast
Hi,

The Corsair TX650m is now installed and all of the drives etc have been connected to the psu. I have powered on the PC and the Asus bios screen is shown after the inital beep. But the SATA lll HDD, which is set as the primary boot drive doesn't boot because it normally boots from that drive and says :"starting Windows" with the Windows logo displayed.

The HDD is not being detected by the bios. In the bios SATA Configuration menu, the HDD is not listed, but the 2 optical drives DVD and Blu-ray are.

The DVD and Blu-ray drive are connected to the blue SATA 3Gb/s. The HDD is connected to one of grey SATA connectors on the motherboard. Could this be a loose connection with either the power or SATA to the drive or psu?

There are two grey SATA connectors 6GB/s on the motherboard, only one is being used for the HDD. The other one isn't used.

Because the HDD is not being detected by the bios, the primary boot drive is now set to the Blu-ray drive.

Insert recovery media is shown because it trying to boot from the Blu-ray drive.

This is not a new HDD, but the same one.

The Seagate Barracuda 500gb SATA-III 7200rpm 32MB cache - I think the model is ST500DM009.

How do the power cable and SATA data connect to the drive? For this HDD is the power cable from the drive to the psu a 15-pin one? Or would I need a adapter?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, please.

Thank you.

Last edited:

films&games

Enthusiast
Hi,

My PC is now up and running and everything is good. I had to buy a SATA power extension cable to connect the SATA power cable connected to the psu so that it was able to reach the HDD.

Thank you for your help it was appreciated. (y)(y):)

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That must be a big damn case!

There are often sata power leads of different lengths. I take it you checked for longer cables included with the PSU though.

Either way, great job recabling and reviving the PC :)