onboard LAN vs dedicated network card

Al.Neri

Super Star
I have got my computer spec pretty much sorted now, but I have overlooked the network side of it. as I am intending on buying a top end gaming system, would it be more beneficial to opt for a dedicated network card, or go for the standard onboard LAN option? I plan on doing a lot of online gaming, and I have read that a good can make a difference in performance.

I was looking at the bigfoot killer 2100 in particular, what advice would you offer in this area?

Gorman

Author Level
If your machine has the highest end everything in it, such as Triple SLI 480's and a 980x then sure, if not the cash going towards a Killer nic could be better spent elsewhere for a more noticable performance increase.

Sleinous

Author Level
Yuk! So maybe if you have fibre optic? No otherwise, theres a zillion other things that will make ur ping skyrocket in multiplayer.

Downloading a file
Network sharing
Other comp accessing net
to name a few..

Al.Neri

Super Star
well this is what I have opted for, so....

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-970 (3.20GHz) 6.4GTs/12MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® RAMPAGE III EXTREME: 3-Way SLI & CrossFireX, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Memory (RAM)
12GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (6 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5970 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
80GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR | 70MB/sW)***SPECIAL***
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
10x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£89)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 1000W MODULAR PSU (HX1000) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£169)
Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO C240 A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£102)
Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium PCI Express (£59)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Firewire & Video Editing
1 x IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE PORT ONBOARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£109)

Sleinous

Author Level
Still not extreme enough, and I stick by my 'other' causes of ping theory. I dont see how a network card that has an 'NPU' can make much difference when theres loads of other factors to take into account with ping.

Meds

I'd agree with the other guys, there are better ways in which the £70 can be spent. Possibly an upgrade in the SSD to the 120GB OCZ Vertex II? It's bigger and faster!

Al.Neri

Super Star
I'd agree with the other guys, there are better ways in which the £70 can be spent. Possibly an upgrade in the SSD to the 120GB OCZ Vertex II? It's bigger and faster!

I didn't think of that, ta

so if it's a bigger drive and is faster, why is it only £30 quid more expensive? what's the trade off? or am I just paying for the brand?

Sleinous

Author Level
I think slightly less write speed increase than the intel equivalent. Consider waiting for the gen 3 intel ssd's anyway, 160gb will cost around price of current 80gb + better performance.

Al.Neri

Super Star
I think slightly less write speed increase than the intel equivalent. Consider waiting for the gen 3 intel ssd's anyway, 160gb will cost around price of current 80gb + better performance.

how long is that likely to be? I'm planning on placing my order tomorrow if all goes well.

thanks for the link, interesting reading

Sleinous

Author Level
Q1 2011, im just going to mirror my hdd over to the ssd when i buy it, so no need to reinstall everything.

Al.Neri

Super Star
hardly worth waiting for isn't it? I could spend years chasing technology and never end up buying anything.

Sleinous

Author Level
Well imo it is, im not fussed about performance, im fussed about price, and these drives will nearly cheapen to the price of a high spec 1tb hdd, that is now within my budget.