One-liners

D

Deleted member 41971

vc.jpg

D

Deleted member 41971

me - I started my juice cleanse yesterday and went hiking

Friend - what did you really do?

me - drank 2 bottles of wine and fell down the stairs.

D

Deleted member 41971

It's so ludicrous. All they care about is money, there's no common sense or moral judgement, it's all overruled by how many bucks they can sue the next person for!

i bet the one who stood her up thought "I dodged a bullet there" :LOL:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Just found this image on the interwebs…

8FE7816A-8900-4B79-8420-B321A5B2AE9A.jpeg

I cracked a smile, but let’s get nerdy…

2TB = 2 x 10^12 = 2,000,000,000,000 bytes.

2TiB = 2 x 2^40 = 2,199,023,255,552 bytes.

Windows chooses to show TiB and call it TB. Dividing that number of bytes by 1024 into the TB range gets you… 1.81TiB.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
View attachment 34265

I cracked a smile, but let’s get nerdy…

2TB = 2 x 10^12 = 2,000,000,000,000 bytes.

2TiB = 2 x 2^40 = 2,199,023,255,552 bytes.

Windows chooses to show TiB and call it TB. Dividing that number of bytes by 1024 into the TB range gets you… 1.81TiB.

Naw.... just naw!! The "i" is made up nonsense to round things off.

In a computer system.... it's on or off.... 0 or 1.... Base 2 or ^2.

Changing it to base 10 through laziness is just the modern approach. There's no justification for it IMO, "i" or no "i", and changing the TB to ^10 just bumped everything below it.

2TB is 2,000,000,000,000 bytes but 2GB is 2,147,483,648 bytes and we've been getting robbed since getting past MB :D

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Naw.... just naw!! The "i" is made up nonsense to round things off.

In a computer system.... it's on or off.... 0 or 1.... Base 2 or ^2.

Changing it to base 10 through laziness is just the modern approach. There's no justification for it IMO, "i" or no "i", and changing the TB to ^10 just bumped everything below it.

2TB is 2,000,000,000,000 bytes but 2GB is 2,147,483,648 bytes and we've been getting robbed since getting past MB :D
As I understand it, it’s that the advertised storage amount is essentially decimal whereas the system is showing it in binary. Both numbers reflect the same number of bytes but 1K is 1000 bytes in decimal, and 1024 bytes in binary. Is the math wrong?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As I understand it, it’s that the advertised storage amount is essentially decimal whereas the system is showing it in binary. Both numbers reflect the same number of bytes but 1K is 1000 bytes in decimal, and 1024 bytes in binary. Is the math wrong?

I think it's to do with the advertising. It's deliberate, to make you think you're getting more..... a bit like how broadband companies list Mb rather than MB, because more always looks better. MiB didn't exist, there was no such thing. Someone came up with the use of "i" at some point in recent years.

I don't actually know all the ins and outs, but it's something that's bothered me on systems since day dot. HDDs, IME, have always had ^10 for their advertised/labelled space. As I understand it they changed to ^10 with the Terrabyte... as in, it was defined at the very beginning that TB would be considered as ^10 from a memory stand point. Prior to that, all memory definitions were ^2.

Sort of like.... from this day forward....

Imagine 100GB of RAM, eurghhh. Same thing.... just packaged accurately as it's defined by the bus width.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I think it's to do with the advertising. It's deliberate, to make you think you're getting more..... a bit like how broadband companies list Mb rather than MB, because more always looks better. MiB didn't exist, there was no such thing. Someone came up with the use of "i" at some point in recent years.

I don't actually know all the ins and outs, but it's something that's bothered me on systems since day dot. HDDs, IME, have always had ^10 for their advertised/labelled space. As I understand it they changed to ^10 with the Terrabyte... as in, it was defined at the very beginning that TB would be considered as ^10 from a memory stand point. Prior to that, all memory definitions were ^2.

Sort of like.... from this day forward....

Imagine 100GB of RAM, eurghhh. Same thing.... just packaged accurately as it's defined by the bus width.
I’ve just found this article which sheds a bit more light on things:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I’ve just found this article which sheds a bit more light on things:

It does and it doesn't...... by that very definition RAM should always be listed as GiB?

This line here:

"The IT and data storage industries often use the binary system's power-of-two nonmetric units."

Is where my spidey sense tingles and I just think they're looking to short change us. If it was the other way round, they would still go the cheaper route IMO.