Outerarm

I have just placed my order for the following obscenity:

• Case: CoolerMaster HAF-X Full Tower Gaming Case
  • Processor: Intel Core i7 Six Core Processor i7-3930K (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache
  • Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
  • Memory (RAM): 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast Quad-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P
  • Graphics Card: 4GB nVidia GeForce GTX 690 DUAL GPU
  • Hard Drive 1: 240GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s
  • Hard Drive 2: 2TB WD Caviar Black WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB Cache (7200rpm)
  • Optical Drive: 12x Blu-Ray Writer Drive, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
  • Power Supply: Corsair 1050W Pro Series HX1050-80 Plus Gold Modular
  • Processor Cooling: Corsair H100 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
  • Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCI-E Soundcard
  • Monitor: 3x iiYama E2273HS 22" LED Widescreen
  • Keyboard & Mouse: Razer Black Widow 2013 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

To complete the package I already have Windows 7 Ultimate, an Altec Lansing 5.1 speaker system, Razer DeathAdder mouse and Razer eXactMat mouse mat. I also went for the 3 year Gold Warranty.

I plan on using the box primarily as a gaming machine, though I will also be using it for 3D rendering, some CAD work, image processing and video encoding.

I know this spec is overkill for pretty much any home based application, however I have found myself in the fortunate position of being allowed to buy a new PC by SWMBO and spending the same (index linked) as I did on my last rig nearly 10 years ago. I believe spending that amount on my last PC, while excessive at the time, ended up saving money in long run -- amortised it worked out at about £250 a year even with upgrades. I am hoping for a similar return (£350 to £400 annually) on this purchase, accepting that I will end up adding more memory and a second GFX card at some point.

To address some of the obvious questions:

• Is this over-spec’d? Let’s make no bones about this… Yes
  • Is it future-proof? Tough to call, but I’m planning on it having the grunt to carry me through 6 to 8 years with some small updates. Technology will change, but this should be able to play most new games in the coming years and provide fast rendering on my work.
  • Is it upgradeable? It’ll be easy to add memory and a second GFX card – the mobo and PSU have enough capacity
  • Why not Windows 8? While W8 have a lot of optimisations over W7, the interface does not work well over multiple monitors
  • Is your desk big enough? Careful measurements suggest it’ll be touch and go but things can be moved
  • Are you showing off? Hmm… Not my intention nor in my nature, but I think, to my embarrassment, yes

And some of the more obscure:

• Are you happy? You have no idea how ecstatic this makes me!
  • Will you have my babies? No, I have three kids of my own and that is enough
  • When did you last eat? I’m so hungry I could eat a lasagne
  • Do you have any tattoos? I have one written in Chinese symbols which reads, "I don't know. I don't speak Chinese." so when people ask me what it means...

Anyway… I will post build and delivery progress and share photos of my precious when it arrives. If you have any questions or comments, please post!

Cheers,
OA

steaky360

Nice rig! Looking forward to pics when its all set up - much jealousy over the 3 monitors, wish I had the space for them (I will eventually!).

Outerarm

7th working day and still in pre-production :(

On the plus side at least it is giving me time to prepare the office and make space for the beast!

Outerarm

10th Working day and still in pre-production. I dropped PCS a message asking about status and received a fast response that the i7-3930K was out of stock and that new supplies would be arriving on the 26th...

This was accompanied by a very optimistic "once this arrives we should be able to dispatch it in a couple of working days for you, so you should have it at the end of [the] week all being well"... Not sure if that is possible (would need to complete build and testing by end of Tuesday, QA by end of Wednesday and ship out on Thursday for delivery on Friday) but here's hoping!

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Nice rig! Looking forward to pics when its all set up - much jealousy over the 3 monitors, wish I had the space for them (I will eventually!).

So you have quad-SLI GTX 690s with a single monitor? [rollinglaugh] How many fps do you get on BF3? 600? ^^

Toxophilix

Bright Spark
So you have quad-SLI GTX 690s with a single monitor? [rollinglaugh] How many fps do you get on BF3? 600? ^^
So you have 8 Gk104s? That is the overkill to end overkill. Excellent. Do the lights dim in your town when you launch a game? :O

steaky360

So you have 8 Gk104s? That is the overkill to end overkill. Excellent. Do the lights dim in your town when you launch a game? :O

Not quite, only 4 (quad Sli :p don't think you can do octosli yet... but it does just run off the tongue!). But no, fortunately not :p

Outerarm

I'm a bit confused too..! How many 690s are in the rig, is it 2 or 4?

Edit: Ah, 2x GTX 690 -- just checked your rig pics from your sig :)

Last edited:

steaky360

Steaky... where are these new pics you promised....?

I've procrastinated almost non-stop since i promised those :(

I tell you what, I should have some free time over the weekend and I'm going to sort out my cable management etc and I'll get them done then :) (because stating stuff on a forum makes it official!)

Official-Stamp.png

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hahah lol, Look forward to it steaky :)

I'm hoping to get my second 580 back this week!!!! So excited!!