Opinions regarding High-End gaming specs quote

JonnyJamesD

The following quote is a high-end gaming PC rig I am considering financing when I am able to do so in a couple of weeks. I am wondering what opinions are (if anyone cares) regarding the specs in regards to value for money and performance. This is a big investment and will be a huge step up from my current rig which consists of a GTX 770 for graphics and an AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core processor, running on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit operating system. I enjoy playing quite intensive/demanding video games such as Arma 3 and am looking to invest in the future where, no doubt, high end rigs will be increasingly demanded as a result of advanced game engine improvements. I am looking for a rig that will suit me over the next half towards over-half of a decade, so that I won't have to fall into the trap of buying new specs continuously over this period.

Notes:
  • - I currently share a Norton 360 antivirus protection licence with my family so this will not be necessary.
  • - I am eager to begin recording machinimas/gameplay videos/streams for my YouTube channel where I won't be embarassed by displaying low specs/performance will be better while the computer is multitasking doing this
  • - Undecided on 64gb allocated RAM - but thinking this may prove very useful compared to 32gb RAM when rendering such videos as mentioned above
  • - I am not currently fascinated by 4K capabilities, although this system is ideally capable of smooth performance at this resolution. However, I would feel a lot better knowing that I have the ability to upgrade to 4K resolution should I choose to do so. I am mainly looking for an extremely smooth 2K resolution performance experience

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500M GAMING CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Eight Core (3.60GHz @ up to 4.9GHz)

down_right_arrow.gif
Get Total War: Three Kingdoms & More w/ select Intel CPUs!
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs WIFI - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

down_right_arrow.gif
Get Control & Wolfenstein: Young Blood w/ select GeForce RTX GPUs!
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)

down_right_arrow.gif
Choose from 6 Incredible Ubisoft Titles FREE with select SAMSUNG NVMe SSDs!
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
LED Lighting
50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound Card
ASUS STRIX Raid DLX 7.1 PCIe sound card
Wireless/Wired Networking
ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 2100Mbps/5GHz, 1000Mbps/2.4GHz
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORT (1 x TYPE A, 1 x TYPE C) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [MUP-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Monitor
IIYAMA G2730HSU-B1 27" Gaming Monitor
Monitor Cables
1 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE
Keyboard & Mouse
ASUS Cerberus Gaming Bundle - Keyboard, Mouse, Headset & Mouse Mat
Game Streaming
AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 - PCIe Card
Games Controller
Xbox One Controller + Cable for Windows
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 14 working days
Promotional Item
Choose from 6 Incredible Ubisoft Titles FREE with select SAMSUNG NVMe SSDs!
Price: £3,850.00 including VAT and Delivery

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
- Undecided on 64gb allocated RAM - but thinking this may prove very useful compared to 32gb RAM when rendering such videos as mentioned above
It's rare to see youtuber type specs on these forums with more than 32gb

What monitor are you gaming on?

IIYAMA G2730HSU-B1 27" Gaming Monitor
I'm assuming not this. For this kind of spec you'd want to spend probably a minimum of £400 on a monitor, going for 1440p 144hz gsync, 1440p ultrawide gsync, or 4k gsync.

Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Eight Core (3.60GHz @ up to 4.9GHz)
For rendering and streaming, I'd have gone with the AMD R9 3900x.

If sticking with the i9 9900k, drop the wifi card because that expensive AORUS Master mobo you picked already has good onboard wifi, indeed that's one of the points of it.

Also, drop the sound card. Onboard sound on the mobos is decent. Audition that, and only then consider something else.

Wireless/Wired Networking
ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 2100Mbps/5GHz, 1000Mbps/2.4GHz

I wouldn't bother with the PRO HDDs due to the price premium. I would, however, bother with a 1TB SSD.

JonnyJamesD

It's rare to see youtuber type specs on these forums with more than 32gb

What monitor are you gaming on?

I'm assuming not this. For this kind of spec you'd want to spend probably a minimum of £400 on a monitor, going for 1440p 144hz gsync, 1440p ultrawide gsync, or 4k gsync.

For rendering and streaming, I'd have gone with the AMD R9 3900x.

If sticking with the i9 9900k, drop the wifi card because that expensive AORUS Master mobo you picked already has good onboard wifi, indeed that's one of the points of it.

Also, drop the sound card. Onboard sound on the mobos is decent. Audition that, and only then consider something else.

I wouldn't bother with the PRO HDDs due to the price premium. I would, however, bother with a 1TB SSD.

Hahaha yeah it's not the best monitor either. Dxdiag literally states "generic" pnp monitor. It's a hp something. From rags to riches, as they say.

Really appreciate your insight specifically on the soundcard and the wifi card. I'm pretty steadfast on the i9, however.

Follow up question: is there really any loss in choosing a 2k resolution over a 4k one, other than the loss of a better viewing experience? I'm anxious about getting a 4K display and then seeing subtle performance drops that will affect my OCD in a bad way. It's a task having to hold back my anger from smashing my shit up as it is. Don't want to be doing that with this kind of rig!

samwil

Enthusiast
Hahaha yeah it's not the best monitor either. Dxdiag literally states "generic" pnp monitor. It's a hp something. From rags to riches, as they say.

Really appreciate your insight specifically on the soundcard and the wifi card. I'm pretty steadfast on the i9, however.

Follow up question: is there really any loss in choosing a 2k resolution over a 4k one, other than the loss of a better viewing experience? I'm anxious about getting a 4K display and then seeing subtle performance drops that will affect my OCD in a bad way. It's a task having to hold back my anger from smashing my shit up as it is. Don't want to be doing that with this kind of rig!

It's entirely personal preference but I prefer qhd, (1440p) over 4k as it's a nice balance of frames and quality. I personally cant tell too much of a difference from 1080 to 1440p but it is there, so 4k will probably have the same impact.

At the moment anyway, even the best gpus peak at around 60fps 4k gaming with some titles, so 1440p is the more available route.

Depends what frames your after, if your like me and you prefer the 80-100fps mark then a 1440p monitor is probably the way to go, but tbh it kinda would feel a waste on a 2080 ti now I look.

Another option is to wait until the next super iteration comes out and go with a 4k monitor then, as the second generation 2080ti, if it comes out, will be a small, but important portion better for 4k gaming.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That would be why to buy a 4k monitor with gsync, as it won't matter so much if you're always at 60fps or not. obviously if FPS change suddenly from 60fps to 40fps, e.g. you move into an area with a lot of (smoke, shadows, fire, whatever) you'll probably notice the change, but you won't get tearing or the stutter caused by vsync when you're running below 60fps.

However, a 1440p monitor gives you the options of higher refresh rates for a smoother gameplay experience.

There's always an element of personal opinion here. For instance:

I personally cant tell too much of a difference from 1080 to 1440p but it is there,
That was Sawmill's experience. My experience moving from 1080p to 1440p was nothing short of mind-blowing. The difference is crazy.

Some people say they can't tell the difference between 60hz and 144hz. Some people find it night and day, even down to the smoothness of dragging the cursor around the desktop, nevermind gaming. I seem to fall into the latter camp, which surprised me a bit. My current monitor is 75hz and even 75hz is visibly better than 60hz.

Not just placebo either; the other day I was trying to figure our why my mouse felt so sluggish and then figured out the monitor was back og 60hz again, probably after a Windows update. But it could be different for you.

The bottom line is: Don't buy a 2080 ti unless you get some kind of monitor that lets you appreciate that performance. Whether 4k, 1440p 144hz, 1440p ultrawide. :)