optimus 3 - bios setting for optimus?

liamdawe

Hi all just wandering on the optimus 3 laptop is there any bios setting to allow you to always use the nvidia gpu, i know some laptop makers have this and it's very useful!

Meds

Hey,

I've just had a browse through the User Manual for the Optimus III and there is no option in the BIOS to permanently enable the NVIDIA GPU. Please see the info about the Optimus Technology below;

optimus.JPG

Reactions: PCS

tom6561

Gold Level Poster
I know this isn't really what you were asking, but I've occasionally run into problems with optimus where it will stubbornly run with integrated graphics, the solution I had was going onto the nvidia control panel and changing the "preferred graphics processor" to "high performance nvidia processor". Just thought I'd throw that out there :)

rhx123

I also asked this when I was considering to buy my Optimus III, mainly due to triple monitor support. I don't think you can disable optimus completely. Its a shame the button on the laptop doesnt toggle between iGPU/Optimus/dGPU rather than just iGPU/Optimus.

liamdawe

Yeah it's a shame you can't set it to just intel or just nvidia as from what i read up on it the nvidia chip uses the intel one for communication in the newer version of optimus which it seems the Optimus III uses.