Optimus II Random Shutdowns

Greenman

Enthusiast
Had the laptop for about a month now, had a few shutdowns in that time. I don't know what's causing it, don't really want to RMA or anything due to the rarity.
No BSOD or freezeup, just a shutdown out of the blue. It's not a temperature problem, the laptop will turn back on instantly (And the temps are good anyway)
I have all the latest drivers taken from the supplied disc and the latest 555m drivers from Nvidia.

Would love to hear some suggestions and hopefully I can sort it out, it may not even happen again.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Have a look in event viewer it may give you a clue to the problem.
Go to control panel(All control panel items)/performance information and tools/click advanced tools on the left hand side/view performance details in event log.
this will take you to diagnostics-performance events & boot and shutdown events.
If nothing obvious showing there,at the top of the tree on the left hand side,click on custom views/administrative events.

Last edited:

Greenman

Enthusiast
Not sure exactly what I'm looking for, as you can see there are a few criticals and some warnings:

44036972.png

They don't seem to explain much.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Unfortunately event viewer only pinpoints the problem occasionally,
but it's worth a try.
Have a look in administrative events.
at the top of the tree on the left hand side,click on custom views/administrative events,
also try selecting "event log online"at the bottom of the page to see if more information is available.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Do the shutdowns happen with any certain programs running? or is it completely random showing no patterns?

I dunno if this may be the problem, but i'd do a virus scan.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i have a feeling that it may be faulty integrated gfx and when it switches to it, it begins to fail

Greenman

Enthusiast
Done a virus scan, nothing found.
Quite possibly Wozza, it happened again last night when I was playing Left 4 Dead 2 (2nd time during this game) The earlier source games have a problem with the 555m and Optimus tech from what I've read, engine doesn't support it properly or something, causing a few problems like no dynamic shadows. Also noticed that the fan gets louder in these games than say in Metro and Empire:TW which seems a bit strange.

Greenman

Enthusiast
Just happened again yesterday, again no error messages and nothing in event viewer. Could this be related to the battery at all? I asked a friend and he said it could be, but I don't know how I would test this.