Optimus II Shutdowns

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
Hi All,
Is there a program that is standard in windows (preferably) on a pc/laptop that can tell me why it has shut down without warning.
The problem i have is last thursday and again yesterday while gaming my laptop just switched off. It was 2 different games, it was plugged into the mains, temps were not to bad (cpu=80degC, gpu=62degC).
Any suggestions or advice anybody can give would be helpful.

Thanks
Chris

Greenman

Enthusiast
What games were you playing? I had the same problem and since getting the latest Nvidia drivers (555m) it hasn't happened again. I also avoid setting my games to high priority through task manager now as this didn't seem to help (Especially source engine games strangely, temps and such are also fine)

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Hello cb1173, sorry to hear you're having problems with the machine.

The CPU temperature does seem a little high, does it ever got hotter than 80degC? And can you confirm when using the laptop you're gaming on a flat surface?

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
Hi and thanks for the replies.

The 2 games are wow and apb reloaded, on medium to high setting.

The laptop is always on a hard flat surface when in use, never on a sofa or a lap. the cpu has gone over 80deg in the past and i posted about this and was told it nothing to worry about (being a i7 in a laptop) so left it at that. It only goes above this with intense gaming for a few hours, raids or loads of dungeon runs, at present i have been on wow for about an hour just questing and my temps are around the 60deg mark, when not gaming they are in the 30-40deg range.

Hope this helps.

jayhar

Hi I've been having a lot of problems with my Optimus II - 17"

The CPU GPU are regularly hovering around 80c-90c while playing games and regularly experience shutdowns while playing Starcraft 2 and EVE crashing also. I have a laptop fan and rarely play on my lap aswell as removing the battery when plugged in. I take good care of my laptop as I use it regularly but less than a year isn't an acceptable time for it to start getting dementia haha!

When I originally purchased the laptop I could have 3 EVE Online windows playing and play WoW all on high graphic and my laptop sat back with an ice cold lemonade and now I'm having to reduce graphics to low and minimize applications to prevent crashing...

I've tried to download programs to adjust fan speeds but apparently none will work with CLEVO motherboards.

Any tips about what I should be doing? Gaming is my only expertise when it comes to computers I'm afraid... No idea if heat is the cause or hardware problems are causing both my laptop to crash and increased temperatures.

Jayke x

Last edited:

AndyL

Hi I've been having a lot of problems with my Optimus II - 17"

The CPU GPU are regularly hovering around 80c-90c while playing games and regularly experience shutdowns while playing Starcraft 2 and EVE crashing also. I have a laptop fan and rarely play on my lap aswell as removing the battery when plugged in. I take good care of my laptop as I use it regularly but less than a year isn't an acceptable time for it to start getting dementia haha!

When I originally purchased the laptop I could have 3 EVE Online windows playing and play WoW all on high graphic and my laptop sat back with an ice cold lemonade and now I'm having to reduce graphics to low and minimize applications to prevent crashing...

I've tried to download programs to adjust fan speeds but apparently none will work with CLEVO motherboards.

Any tips about what I should be doing? Gaming is my only expertise when it comes to computers I'm afraid... No idea if heat is the cause or hardware problems are causing both my laptop to crash and increased temperatures.

Jayke x

Do you regularly clean out the fans and chassis inlets?

jayhar

I certainly do - it's wonderfully clean :) I have 2 dogs that malt all the time so I have to clean it regularly as their hairs get everywhere lol

Upon attempting to run in safe mode I've found that my laptop freezes on the option page (after pressing F8). After doing some research it seems that the most likely culprit is some dodgy RAM! Once I've had some sleep I'll give Memtest86 a try. I don't wanna physically mess around with any of the hardware myself though as laptops seem really fragile and compact XD!

Will keep you posted - any tips would be great.

Jayke.

P.S. I've got my temps down and no longer seems to be a likely suspect!