Optimus III Laptop - Couple of questions...

daz_2000

Hi all,

Just got my new laptop today, pleased with it so far. I have a couple of questions :

1. I was hoping to put in my HD from my old laptop into the secondary HD slot, however it seems it has a different connection. It is a sata HD (I think), however there are pins on the end, see attached pic :

20120822_144854.jpg

So, looks like I will have to buy a new 2nd HD, unless someone tells me how I can connect this one.

I've been looking at some, would this one be suitable? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Scorpio-7200rpm-Internal/dp/B004I9J5OG/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1345642871&sr=1-5

2. Can someone tell me what the VGA button does? I have an Nvidia Graphics card installed, I also noticed an intel graphics software installed, I assume the button is to switch between onboard graphics and Nvidia one?

3. THX software- looks related to audio, it says its not installed or disabled when I run it? SHould I be concerned?

Appreciate any guidance / advice anyone can provide.

Cheers

Daz

TommyAwesome

The pins on the HDD should just come right off...(Pretty sure mine did anyway!)

the VGA button will turn on UMA mode - not sure what it stands for, but its a power saver... When it's orange, it's off, so the NVidia graphics card will work, (when needed). When you turn on UMA mode, the VGA button should turn green.

Not sure about the THX software though.

One to thing to mention - the secondary HDD space isn't brilliant. I've had to stuff something in between the HDD and the edge of the "caddy" - and when I say caddy, i mean the space where it should go... it's not the best design in the world!!

but it works!

Last edited:

Marks

Bronze Level Poster
One to thing to mention - the secondary HDD space isn't brilliant. I've had to stuff something in between the HDD and the edge of the "caddy" - and when I say caddy, i mean the space where it should go... it's not the best design in the world!!
When you install the 2nd HDD, the one in the middle of the laptop, there are 2 offset screws just by the data port, unscrew these, remove the plastic adapter this releases.

Attach the adapter with a screw each side of the hdd to be fitted, make sure you put it in the correct way or the ports will not line up.

Place the hdd into the gap, it will sit at the right hand side of the slot. Carefully push the drive into place, making sure the ports line up before you push it in properly.

Now put the initial 2 screws back in and your hard drive should be secure in the laptop and not move around.

The last thing you should do is just slot the drive into the gap, a sharp jolt could easily knock it out and damage the drive, put pressure on the connection and if it came loose could damage the internals of the laptop itself.

TommyAwesome

When you install the 2nd HDD, the one in the middle of the laptop, there are 2 offset screws just by the data port, unscrew these, remove the plastic adapter this releases.

Attach the adapter with a screw each side of the hdd to be fitted, make sure you put it in the correct way or the ports will not line up.

Place the hdd into the gap, it will sit at the right hand side of the slot. Carefully push the drive into place, making sure the ports line up before you push it in properly.

Now put the initial 2 screws back in and your hard drive should be secure in the laptop and not move around.

The last thing you should do is just slot the drive into the gap, a sharp jolt could easily knock it out and damage the drive, put pressure on the connection and if it came loose could damage the internals of the laptop itself.

AHA!!! I can't believe I missed that!! I'm supposed to be a computer engineer!! haha...

Oh well... done now, I've put my SSD in the central spot, and my other HDD in the other one, seeing as the SSD doesn't get (as) hot, my thinking is that it won't be another heat source so close to the main board...
Booted fine straight away, so I assume all is fine!!

Also, has anyone with the Optimus III got a massive PSU?? It's looks like old HP ones from 5-10 years ago!!

daz_2000

Thanks all, I was minutes away from pressing the purchase button on a £70 new HD. The only reason I need it is for my music collection and itunes library which sits on my 250gb drive which I have now successfully installed screws n all !

Battery life is pretty naff!