Optimus IV constantly switching GPUs at a constant rate

sirbb

My 10-day old Optimus IV is constantly switching GPUs with an exact amount of time spent on each. It spends 3 seconds on the nVidia (orange) and then 1 second on the Intel (green) and just goes backwards and forwards between the two, even at idle. It doesn't matter what programmes I have open, if any. My display and graphics are not affected adversely and everything is running smoothing on the laptop. I am trying to get the nVidia to turn off so I can lengthen the battery life (which at the moment stands at under 2 hours - way below the advertised 6.5 hours).

My drivers are correct and I have re-installed them twice this afternoon with no change. I have also reverted to using the original drivers provided by PCS, again with no change. I have disabled the nVidia card in the Device Manager with absolutely no change (it doesn't even switch off). Pressing the VGA button makes no difference (the HotKey Driver is installed correctly) and selecting other power plans (i.e. UMA or Power Saving) where the nVidia should be disabled has no effect either.

Since both devices are apparently working (according to their lights and the presence in the Device Manager) it must be a software glitch or conflict somewhere . . . . any ideas fellow Optimus IV owners??

Thank you in advance!

(The computer has already been RMA'd for a dead SSD so I am keen to get this sorted without having to resort to returning it yet again . . . I've only actually had it for three of the 10 days!!!)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
All I can tell you is that my Optimus IV doesn't do that. It does sound as though you've done all the obvious things so I would call PCS and keep your fingers crossed. :)

steaky360

I agree with ubuysa, I'd call PCS and see what they think. Is it definitely changing GPU's? Or is the light just flashing?

sirbb

I've just done another complete fresh installation of Windows 7 (installation number 14 in as many days!). The VGA button now works and the GPUs were fine for about five minutes. Now they have gone back to switching (3 seconds on nVidia and 1 second on Intel). The VGA button changes colour when pressed and the message comes up on screen about restarting applications that might require the other GPU etc. but doesn't seem to make any difference to the switching scenario. I emailed PCS yesterday but have not heard back as yet.

steaky360

Aye they can take a day to get back to you (but are often quicker than that!). Seems a bit excessive having to do 14 installations though, sounds like something isn't right. It might be worth it (if you can) giving PCS a call to discuss.

sirbb

This laptop has had so many problems since arriving with driver problems, bad hardware etc. I am reluctant to call them at the moment given I have already spent £30 in phone calls alone to PCS. Their advice for the other problems has been re-install Windows - sometimes it has worked and other times it gets rid of that problem and causes another!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This laptop has had so many problems since arriving with driver problems, bad hardware etc. I am reluctant to call them at the moment given I have already spent £30 in phone calls alone to PCS. Their advice for the other problems has been re-install Windows - sometimes it has worked and other times it gets rid of that problem and causes another!

That's pretty unusual behaviour I think. That tends to make me think you do have some sort of hardware issue but if you're up for another reinstall there is something you might want to try...

First disconnect everything that is plugged in except of course for the power. So no external mouse, no USB devices, nothing. Boot from the install DVD and select a custom install. Delete all the partitions on your first hard disk (the SSD I guess) so that all the space is shown as unallocated. Then create one partition (Windows 7/8 will of course create a second for it's own use) and install Windows into that. Install the relevant drivers from the PCS supplied disk and run Windows update until it's up to date (but don't install any drivers via Windows update). Then see how it behaves on it's own with nothing plugged in and no third-party software installed. I realise you'll have a laptop that you can't do much with but if it's not working properly after a completely clean install and with only Windows on there then hardware is about all that's left I think?

Of course, if it does behave itself then you should try plugging in your USB devices one at a time, thoroughly testing the laptop each time until (if?) you find one causing a problem. Once all your devices are plugged in you can start installing third-party software, again one at a time and thoroughly testing each time. This sounds like a pain I know (and it is, I've had to do it myself) but it's the only way to isolate the cause of your problems.

Hope that helps some? :)

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Hello sirbb, sorry to hear you are still having problems. Do you still require assistance on this matter?

sirbb

Thanks for asking moosEh.

I have done a fresh install of Windows and all the drivers that seem to have 'taken' this time (no BSODs apart from when trying to install the USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller) although there is still a problem with any system monitoring software adversely affecting the Optimus function (such as GPU temp, CPU temp, HD monitor, HD64, MemInfo, HDD Observer etc.). Why, I'm not quite sure . . . .