Optimus IV CPU problem.

AESamuel

Hi,

I recently bought an optimus iv 15" laptop with an i5-3230M 2.6Ghz CPU and nvidia 660m GPU.

I've been getting good results while gaming until last night, suddenly I was getting very low FPS and I cannot seem to figure out why. The problem is still here today and nothing I do seems to get it back to normal As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with the GPU, it is fully updated to the most recent drivers.

Using the intel turbo boost monitor 2.6 even while under load (running a virus scan or playing a game), the CPU seems to be stuck in energy saver mode. The turbo boost isn't kicking in! The processor is set to maximum performance in energy management options. Core temperature is currently reading 46c.

I tried running prime95, both cores under 100% load and the intel turboboost monitor still showed as energy saver mode.

If anyone can shed some light on what might be going on here I would be most appreciative!

Thanks,
Asa

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
AFAIK (and I don't game) the turbo-boost feature of CPUs on the Optimus is disabled in the BIOS when using the GPU. I think this is because the installed cooling fan and copper pipes cannot properly cool a heavily loaded GPU and turbo-boosted CPU. So the BIOS stops the turbo-boot when using the GPU (and you can't change that yourself).