Optimus IV vs Genesis IV chasis quality

smarty

I am considering the Optimus IV or the Genesis IV. The Genesis IV was actually recommended to me by someone. From reviews, I hear the Genesis IV chasis is a fingerprint magnet! In another review, I learn the USB ports for the Genesis IV are close to the air vents and devices attached to them do get hot sometimes. Does this apply to the Optimus IV as well? In general, which machine will you say has the better chasis?

Secondly, I don't want a machine that is clunky (I should be able to easily take to class, seminars etc), am I better off going for the new Ultranote? This is my first self-configured system so I have lots of questions! Thanks.

Keithg

Enthusiast
I have the 17" optimus so not something you would travel with.
From my experience the USB3 ports are on the same side of the chassis as the exhaust vent but they have never increased in temperature even during extended gaming, there is also a single usb2 port on the other side. I would not be concerned with this either way.

Thankfully there are also no glossy surfaces on the optimus so no annoying finger marks. The finish is a bit plastic feeling, especially the back of the screen but the quality of the build is first class, particularly the main body and hinges.

edit: i am an idiot, the vent is on the rear left side oppposite to the USB3 ports. But as I said the ports themselves do not get warm.

Last edited: