Optimus IV - Webcam (problem?)

pobishere

I did a clean Windows 8 installation on an SSD and have installed all the drivers which seem to be working fine.

The only query I have is with the webcam. In order to fire up the software (so I see myself) I have to first press either the webcam hotkey on the top left or Fn+F10 to power on the cam, then click the WebCam Installer icon on the desktop to get the red light and the BisonCap video display window. Is this how it's supposed to work, rather than press one of the hotkeys for the whole thing to come on?

Many thanks for any help.

Pagey

Bright Spark
I've only used my camera once on MY Optimus IV and after a few presses of the hotkey it turns on and off without further installing of drivers.

Or do you mean to bring the camera software up?

I think I only have the drivers installed not the software for it, though regardless of that the camera still works in the likes of Skype, I also just tested on "WebcamToy" all without the extra software.

Editeditedit!

To be perfectly honest, I really don't think you'll even need the software for it, (saves a bit of space,) plus any programs that require the camera will just call for it anyway.

Last edited:

pobishere

@Pagey I think the way you and I have it is the way it's supposed to be. The Hotkey and the Fn keys are just power on/off switches - they don't actually start any capture/video software.

As you say, the camera will turn on via software. E.g. I just tried using 'Camera' in Windows 8 via the PC Settings menu and it came on immediately. The Hotkey and Fn keys then just acted as a power on/off switch.

Thanks for the reply.

And thanks for the tip in another thread regarding the RealTek audio drivers. It makes a significant difference over the THX, which really does this laptop no favours at all.