Optimus Pro Xi - AMD / Nvidia 2060 - Unusable due to Blue Screens but it’s not an hardware problem

DragonDog

I hope that's not the problem because otherwise I don't know what to do.

However I was thinking this morning to change slot to the same ram stick I currently have, because it could also be a faulty slot and not the ram stick. Does this seem like a good idea?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I hope that's not the problem because otherwise I don't know what to do.

However I was thinking this morning to change slot to the same ram stick I currently have, because it could also be a faulty slot and not the ram stick. Does this seem like a good idea?
If you're 100% certain that it's OK on that one stick where it is, then that would be a useful test. It's MOST important that you are absolutely certain it's not failing now.

If it does turn out to look like a dual-channel issue then I'd expect PCS to swap both RAM sticks. :)

DragonDog

Ok, I'll wait a little longer to make sure this ram bank works 100%. Then I'll try the other bank in them same slot. If the other bank will also work, I will do the same test in the other slot. First in one bank and then the other. I'll update you as soon as I have some more information.
Thanks again for your help.

DragonDog

I'm back, much earlier than expected... I thought I had solved the problem, but just 5 minutes ago a blue screen appeared. So, now I'm changing the ram bank and try to use it for a couple of days! Strangely even this time there is no dump file. Neither the minidump folder nor the memory.dmp file is present.

This time I read the blue screen error message that says: kmode_exception_not_handled

Bhuna50

Author Level
You could always RMA the RAM (or any other three letter anagram..ARM, MAR...) but ask that they send you the new RAM through / exchange swap the faulty RAM with the courier to send that back then. If it works out to be the RAM refer them to this thread as well to show what checks you have gone through.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm back, much earlier than expected... I thought I had solved the problem, but just 5 minutes ago a blue screen appeared. So, now I'm changing the ram bank and try to use it for a couple of days! Strangely even this time there is no dump file. Neither the minidump folder nor the memory.dmp file is present.

This time I read the blue screen error message that says: kmode_exception_not_handled
That's disappointing. What was different about the way you were using it when you had the BSOD compared to the way you've been using it before?

What other apps do you have installed apart from Windows?

Do you have any external devices plugged in?

Is Windows managing the pagefile size or have you set your own pagefile size? (The pagefile must be large enough to accommodate a dump or one is not written).

A KMODE_EXCEP[TION_NOT_HANDLED happens when a kernel mode process takes and exception (a fault) that the exception handlers can't handle. You've had one of these before and in that case is was a memory access violation - it's a fair bet that this one was too.

Moving this RAM stick to the other slot is a sensible test. Let me know how it goes. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You could always RMA the RAM (or any other three letter anagram..ARM, MAR...) but ask that they send you the new RAM through / exchange swap the faulty RAM with the courier to send that back then. If it works out to be the RAM refer them to this thread as well to show what checks you have gone through.
PCS generally want some concrete evidence that RAM (or any hardware) is faulty before they ship out replacements. I wouldn't want to bet that the OP has sufficient evidence to convince PCS yet. :)

DragonDog

Ok, I replaced the ram module and now I'm using the other one ... let's see how it goes

That's disappointing. What was different about the way you were using it when you had the BSOD compared to the way you've been using it before?
The funny thing is that when the blue screen appeared I was not using the pc and all the programs were closed, so I was not even using it this time. I would always remember that we are talking about a completely clean installation of Windows with original license (and with the bare minimum installed).

What other apps do you have installed apart from Windows?
I installed all the driver using only Windows update and 7zip, notepad ++, mpcbe, steam, Spotify, Sumatra pdf, winscp, adobe creative suite with InDesign and photoshop and two games. No cracked software or tools that could compromise the functionality of the operating system.

Do you have any external devices plugged in?
External keyboard, mouse and occasionally even a monitor. But I can tell you that a lot of blue screens (with the old windows installation) appeared even with everything disconnected (only with the power connected).

Is Windows managing the pagefile size or have you set your own pagefile size?
I have no idea what it is, I just installed windows, all the drivers with Windows update and I installed the programs I needed to work. Everything else remained unchanged.

A KMODE_EXCEP[TION_NOT_HANDLED happens when a kernel mode process takes and exception (a fault) that the exception handlers can't handle. You've had one of these before and in that case is was a memory access violation - it's a fair bet that this one was too.

Moving this RAM stick to the other slot is a sensible test. Let me know how it goes. :)
Sure! Obviously I keep you updated. Thanks again! 😀

Some considerations regarding the last two posts.
I am really very very disappointed with this pc, I am wasting too much time with this problem. From support they keep sending me information like "check that all drivers are installed" or "do an RMA, but if the problem does not occur when our technicians do a check it, send it back as you sent it". Of course, with very high probability the problem will not occur when they do the tests, I don't think that any of the technicians spend their time using my pc waiting for blue screen.

I want to point out that if my pc was sold to someone with less tech experience, he would have to throw a 1300€ pc in the garbage, because as of now this machine is unusable. If these assumptions are true, PCS should conduct better testing and believe its customers, noone wants to return a pc like this if it works perfectly! 😢

I bought this pc for work but I absolutely cannot work on it. you imagine doing a conference on Zoom and disappear because the PC is blue screen!? 😂 I remind you this is a 1300€ pc and is barely 4 months old.

The fact that I am doing all these tests is only because I hope I don't have to send the pc back to the assistance because I'm in smartworking and without it I could not work at all. And I assure you that's a huge problem for me.

I can't trust a pc that could shut down at any moment. I think that the tests I have done are more than enough for PCS also because (as i said) I'm doing it only because I want to do it, but it's a job that obviously I should not do. I'm interested having a functioning and reliable pc (I think this is what I paid for!).

Thank you very much for the support you are giving me in this forum, as I have already said, I continue to do these tests and I keep you updated! 😁

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Some considerations regarding the last two posts.
I am really very very disappointed with this pc, I am wasting too much time with this problem. From support they keep sending me information like "check that all drivers are installed" or "do an RMA, but if the problem does not occur when our technicians do a check it, send it back as you sent it". Of course, with very high probability the problem will not occur when they do the tests, I don't think that any of the technicians spend their time using my pc waiting for blue screen.

I want to point out that if my pc was sold to someone with less tech experience, he would have to throw a 1300€ pc in the garbage, because as of now this machine is unusable. If these assumptions are true, PCS should conduct better testing and believe its customers, noone wants to return a pc like this if it works perfectly! 😢

I bought this pc for work but I absolutely cannot work on it. you imagine doing a conference on Zoom and disappear because the PC is blue screen!? 😂 I remind you this is a 1300€ pc and is barely 4 months old.

The fact that I am doing all these tests is only because I hope I don't have to send the pc back to the assistance because I'm in smartworking and without it I could not work at all. And I assure you that's a huge problem for me.

I can't trust a pc that could shut down at any moment. I think that the tests I have done are more than enough for PCS also because (as i said) I'm doing it only because I want to do it, but it's a job that obviously I should not do. I'm interested having a functioning and reliable pc (I think this is what I paid for!).

Thank you very much for the support you are giving me in this forum, as I have already said, I continue to do these tests and I keep you updated! 😁
Yep, I quite agree. Every laptop or PC shipped by PCS should work first time and all the time.

Life isn't like that though, stuff breaks and these kinds of hard to pin down issues do crop up. TBH if you hadn't been someone who was clearly capable of doing some serious troubleshooting I've have suggested you RMA it long ago. :)

The problem with intermittent and hard to pin down problems like these is that if PCS can't reproduce it they have absolutely nothing to go on and have no alternative but to send it back to you. Without any details of how to make it fail the best they could do is to clean install Windows and drivers and then stress test it hoping that it fails. If it doesn't fail then what else can they do but send it back?

The numbers of RMAs they're dealing with precludes spending hours watching one laptop hoping that it fails. Testing after building is the same, I understand they soak test them to stress all the main components, but they can't afford to exhaustively test every feature of every build. Not only would the cost be prohibitive but people would start to complain if testing took a week!

It is way more effective for you to do as much work as you're able to and willing to do, in order to try and locate the problem yourself and avoid the RMA wait (which will be long). :)

DragonDog

Sorry, but I don't agree. I bought a new pc, it shouldn't turn off and it shouldn't give me any problems, that's why they have to fix it.

I know stuff breaks, but since the pc is new it has to work properly. I don't care if they can't find the problem, I'm not using a new pc paid 1300€ a few months ago because it turns off. It sucks.

Think about this: You buy a new car, take a trip and it turns off and leaves you on the road. You go to the mechanic, and he tests the car around the block and it works perfectly and tells you "the car works, I'm sorry that when you take long trips it turns off every now and then".

Would you be happy knowing you bought a new car?

However
It gave me another blue screen with the other bank of ram as well. At this point I called a friend of mine who has a configuration with the exact same ram that I have (2x8GB Corsair Vengeance). He gave me his sticks and after less than a day I got a blue screen again, this time with a dump file that you can find here

The file is called 121320-9062-01 and is in the root directory

This is obviously the last test I do, I really don't have time to keep testing anymore, I need to work!

Thanks again for the help you are giving me, I really appreciate it

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Stuff breaks, even new stuff breaks. It's a fact of life.

I take a look at your dump tomorrow but it's clear the RAM sticks are OK. Possibly not the controller though....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I managed to find some time to look at the dump this evening - don't worry, my wife will get over it!

It's a new one for you, it's a DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER, the classic 'buffer overrun' that was in the past a favourite vehicle by which malware got into your system. It means that a driver has tried to write past the end of an allocated buffer, the kernel has caught it and halted the system in case this is malware trying to penetrate the system.

I don't believe that this is malware at all, but is is possible that it's a driver error. There is an indication in the drivers list of a failure of your Intel wireless card driver (Netwtw10.sys)...
Code:
ffff8384`aa636368  fffff803`3aa88f00 Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\Netwtw10.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Netwtw10.sys
Netwtw10+0x88f00
However, it's also very possible that this is a hardware error, and RAM would be the most likely cause. You know now though that your RAM isn't at fault so it's more likely to be the memory controller or possibly even the CPU. I am quite certain, given all the dumps of yours that I've looked at, that you have a hardware problem that's memory related.

You could install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and see whether there is an updated driver for your wireless card. If this were the only dump you'd had I would be suggesting that quite strongly, but of all your BSODs this is the first indication of a wireless card driver issue so I think it's more of a red herring.

If you're still up for more troubleshooting then do run the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and install any updated driver found. Please also configure your system to take only kernel dumps, these minidumps don't contain everything it would be nice to see. Enter the run command sysdm.cpl, click the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Startup & Recovery section, and in the Write debugging information pull-down menu, select Kernel memory dump.

If you're not up for anymore troubleshooting then arrange an RMΑ and point PCS at this thread so they can look at all your dumps (make sure they're still accessible too).

DragonDog

Here I am after other tests. The pc crashed again tonight. Below I'll explain what happened.

I managed to find some time to look at the dump this evening - don't worry, my wife will get over it!
😂😂
I don't believe that this is malware at all, but is is possible that it's a driver error. There is an indication in the drivers list of a failure of your Intel wireless card
I think so too, however to avoid any problems I did a scan with both defender (which has never detected anything to date) and with Kaspersky (which I just installed specifically to do this check, I still had an unused license valid for a few months for the Internet Security version). Obviously not both at the same time! Also in this case no problem detected by either of them!
I am quite certain, given all the dumps of yours that I've looked at, that you have a hardware problem that's memory related.
In this case I think I can not do anything but report it to PCS and make a RMA right? Let's go back to the argument that the problem occurs periodically, and that they should use the pc frequently to notice it (I don't think it will happen). What could I do in that case? Do you think that all the dumps collected are enough to prove the problem?

I don't believe that this is malware at all, but is is possible that it's a driver error. There is an indication in the drivers list of a failure of your Intel wireless card driver (Netwtw10.sys)...
Actually the driver of the network card was not updated, I made all the updates from the intel toolbox last night before going to sleep, but tonight it freezed around 5.30 in the morning. No blue screens anyway, just freezes. I had left the pc on all night to download a game from the Microsoft Store. (I know the time because this morning the pc was freezed with the clock stopped at that time... yeah, I know, pretty scary 😂).

This morning I disabled the network card from the device manager and now I'm using the pc with an ethernet cable, let's see if the problem occurs again.

If you're not up for anymore troubleshooting then arrange an RMΑ and point PCS at this thread so they can look at all your dumps (make sure they're still accessible too).
I think by now I have done all the possible tests, and with all the dumps I have collected I am now able to demonstrate precisely to PCS what the problem of the pc is. Do you have any other advice before contacting support?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Here I am after other tests. The pc crashed again tonight. Below I'll explain what happened.

😂😂

I think so too, however to avoid any problems I did a scan with both defender (which has never detected anything to date) and with Kaspersky (which I just installed specifically to do this check, I still had an unused license valid for a few months for the Internet Security version). Obviously not both at the same time! Also in this case no problem detected by either of them!

In this case I think I can not do anything but report it to PCS and make a RMA right? Let's go back to the argument that the problem occurs periodically, and that they should use the pc frequently to notice it (I don't think it will happen). What could I do in that case? Do you think that all the dumps collected are enough to prove the problem?

Actually the driver of the network card was not updated, I made all the updates from the intel toolbox last night before going to sleep, but tonight it freezed around 5.30 in the morning. No blue screens anyway, just freezes. I had left the pc on all night to download a game from the Microsoft Store. (I know the time because this morning the pc was freezed with the clock stopped at that time... yeah, I know, pretty scary 😂).

This morning I disabled the network card from the device manager and now I'm using the pc with an ethernet cable, let's see if the problem occurs again.

I think by now I have done all the possible tests, and with all the dumps I have collected I am now able to demonstrate precisely to PCS what the problem of the pc is. Do you have any other advice before contacting support?
When you contact them point them in the direction of this thread & give them access to all the dump files

DragonDog

Ok, not even 2 hours after doing this another blue screen appeared, this time without dump (it was DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL). It just crashed while I was using it (I was using Microsoft Edge). The blue screens are all different, I can't stand it anymore, this afternoon I'll contact the technical support.
When you contact them point them in the direction of this thread & give them access to all the dump files
I will do it! Thanks for the advice

UBUYSA thank you so much for the help you gave me.

DragonDog

Hi guys, I have bad news. Very bad news.
Small premise: I have nothing to say about the telephone / email support, they are very friendly and helpful. I am really sorry that there have been these problems and I know they don't depend directly on them and they are doing what they can to resolve this problem.

I contact the support immediately after this thread so we set a date for the collection, but they did not send me the barcode to attach to the package due to some technical problems with their shipping management software, so the courier passed but every time he could not collect the package because I did not have the barcode. This happened 5 times! The sixth was the good one (January 7), almost a month after the RMA request. Their excuse was that they were switching carriers with FedEX. However, it doesn't end there.

After a thousand tracking errors, the package is "somewhere" in Europe due to the problems that Brexit was creating for international shipments. After several days I receive an email confirming that they had received the package.

After a few weeks I receive an email from them saying that they had not encountered the blue screen problem (although I had told them that it was a random problem and that it did not occur every time the PC was used but only sometimes, even at 1 or 2 days from one BSOD to another). However they tell me that they have encountered a "problem" with the SSD, so they replaced it and updated the BIOS. For them it was probably this the combination that caused all the BSODs. They also glued the screen frame (because I also reported the fact that the frame came off when the display was opened) and sent the PC back to me.

So after about 68 days I finally get the pc back. I turn it on and notice that in the upper part of the display there is a gray line that is particularly noticeable on white backgrounds. This strip obviously wasn't there before. However, telephone support was closed so I decide to continue with the installation of Windows and report it to them the next day. I install windows through a usb stick created with the official microsoft tool, I do all the updates and... after less than 40 MINUTES it makes a BSOD.

I don't know what to do anymore, I'm disgusted, this pc is garbage and I have had enough of this situation. After I literally wasted more than 1 month doing useless tests and after that I sent all the dump files, with all the screenshot, the link to this thread, all that they do is change the SSD uselessly, update the BIOS and send back to me a pc that still has problems.

Anyway, I contact the support who tells me that they're sorry (I don't think so) and they asked me to do a memtest. I find it absurd to waste time doing useless tests on this garbage notebook. However I do the memtest86 and obviously no problem is found (because I had already done it in November following your valuable advice from the forum!) After another blue screen they said to me to do a sfc / scannow and try to update windows. I have no more words. I don't want to continue these useless tests. They returned my pc worse than I had sent it to them.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone? Just thinking that I have to send the pc back again makes me cry, I have had the pc since August and I started having problems at the end of October. I have practically had the PC for 6 months and I could only use it for less than a full month and a half.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Small premise: I have nothing to say about the telephone / email support, they are very friendly and helpful. I am really sorry that there have been these problems and I know they don't depend directly on them and they are doing what they can to resolve this problem.

I contact the support immediately after this thread so we set a date for the collection, but they did not send me the barcode to attach to the package due to some technical problems with their shipping management software, so the courier passed but every time he could not collect the package because I did not have the barcode. This happened 5 times! The sixth was the good one (January 7), almost a month after the RMA request. Their excuse was that they were switching carriers with FedEX. However, it doesn't end there.

After a thousand tracking errors, the package is "somewhere" in Europe due to the problems that Brexit was creating for international shipments. After several days I receive an email confirming that they had received the package.

After a few weeks I receive an email from them saying that they had not encountered the blue screen problem (although I had told them that it was a random problem and that it did not occur every time the PC was used but only sometimes, even at 1 or 2 days from one BSOD to another). However they tell me that they have encountered a "problem" with the SSD, so they replaced it and updated the BIOS. For them it was probably this the combination that caused all the BSODs. They also glued the screen frame (because I also reported the fact that the frame came off when the display was opened) and sent the PC back to me.

So after about 68 days I finally get the pc back. I turn it on and notice that in the upper part of the display there is a gray line that is particularly noticeable on white backgrounds. This strip obviously wasn't there before. However, telephone support was closed so I decide to continue with the installation of Windows and report it to them the next day. I install windows through a usb stick created with the official microsoft tool, I do all the updates and... after less than 40 MINUTES it makes a BSOD.

I don't know what to do anymore, I'm disgusted, this pc is garbage and I have had enough of this situation. After I literally wasted more than 1 month doing useless tests and after that I sent all the dump files, with all the screenshot, the link to this thread, all that they do is change the SSD uselessly, update the BIOS and send back to me a pc that still has problems.

Anyway, I contact the support who tells me that they're sorry (I don't think so) and they asked me to do a memtest. I find it absurd to waste time doing useless tests on this garbage notebook. However I do the memtest86 and obviously no problem is found (because I had already done it in November following your valuable advice from the forum!) After another blue screen they said to me to do a sfc / scannow and try to update windows. I have no more words. I don't want to continue these useless tests. They returned my pc worse than I had sent it to them.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone? Just thinking that I have to send the pc back again makes me cry, I have had the pc since August and I started having problems at the end of October. I have practically had the PC for 6 months and I could only use it for less than a full month and a half.
I completely understand your frustration and disappointment. As I've mentioned already in this thread I suspect your problem is hardware related, but to be fair to PCS they can't be expected to fix a problem they can't reproduce.

I don't know whether they tried replacing the RAM - but if they can't make it fail it's difficult for them to know whether anything they changed 'fixed' it. All the BSODs you've had have been typically driver related but you've done clean installs and just used Windows Update to install drivers, except for the Nvidia driver which you install manually, (if that's not the case you need to do that) so we have to suspect hardware and flaky RAM causes all sorts of strange errors. I would have replaced the RAM as a matter of course.

It's your call of course on what you do now. PCS will almost certainly want it back but if you wanted to pursue a refund I wouldn't blame you...

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member

Hello @DragonDog

First of all my apologies for the experience you have had with the system, return and your calls. Could I trouble you to DM me your order number so I can look into this and try and get a resolution for you?

gyulhan

Hello, I'm having the same problem, what's the warranty is over, I'm a victim. did you reach a solution?

Chassis & DisplayOptimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen™ 7 Eight Core Processor 4800H (2.9GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)