Optimus V 17.3" Windows 8.1 BSOD igdkmd64.sys

Matrix510

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys,

Alright, so I just want to query here about these BSOD's and any recommendations you guys have to attempting to solve them.

So far, I've only had the computer BSOD in Prototype 2, but something else happens before the BSOD, I get these low memory warning messages. Yet when I go to check my memory, I'm barely up to 47-49%, so it leaves me to wonder, why is it complaining like this?
This low memory warning doesn't happen in other games, just Prototype 2, and I've not had any BSOD's elsewhere either.

Second of all, it will BSOD after these messages, after a varying amount of time in the game. Sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes, other closer to 60. It's really random, and doesn't really allow me to predict patterns of behaviour.
The error message that I get in the BSOD is this: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)

What is even more peculiar is that I am not the only one with these errors being described, and they ALL have Laptop computers with dedicated Nvidia GPU's alongside the Intel iGPU in Windows 8.1.

After a quick bit of research I have found that basically the Intel iGPU drivers have stopped working and caused the OS to crash. My question to you guys is then, why is this happening, and is there anything I can do to prevent it. Before you recommend updating drivers, I have obtained latest dGPU drivers and the following Intel drivers here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23323

I run Windows 8.1 64 Bit so naturally I elected to download the 64 bit version of the drivers.

My specs are as follows:
Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System
m Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I agree with your analysis. The BSOD is almost certainly driver related and igdkmd64.sys is the Intel graphics driver. AKAIK the Intel driver is still used even when the NVIDIA GPU is in use, so the problem could be (as you surmise) NVIDIA driver related.

I think this may be a case of the driver writers not quite keeping pace with Windows development. I suspect (since you're using the latest drivers) that you need to wait for Intel and/or NVIDIA to catch up with Windows 8.1. It might be worth opening a problem report with both of them and see what their response is?