Optimus V choppy audio/video

I've had my laptop a while now and it's absolutely fantastic; no issues with gaming (can run most games on ultra settings) and certainly no issues using it for work.

Unfortunately though the laptop seems incapable of playing music or video (online or offline) without glitchy sounds and choppiness. It's so frustrating, I've contacted PCS twice; the first time they took control of my laptop and changed a setting involving my harddrive and the second time they sent me a driver to install - in both cases there's been no success.

Though it sometimes glitches randomly, it's very common for it to glitch when I'm browsing the web, for example if I have iTunes open and click on a page in Chrome I receive a horrid distorted/glitchy sound.

Thanks for your time and I hope you can help!

EDIT: When watching video the video will also stutter in sync with the distorted audio sounds - not sure whether that information helps but I thought to add it anyway.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
When this starts happening open up the Task Manager and note what the CPU percentage is and also how much RAM is in use. It's not impossible that you've been infected with some nasty that's chewing up CPU (or memory) and causing your problems. You might also want to look at the running processes and see whether anything in there strikes you as unusual. Get hold of Malwarebytes' Antinmalware scanner and scan your PC for infections.

I've tried both your suggestions; I removed 10 'possible' threats with the antimalware scanner but unfortunately it seems these threats had nothing to do with my issue; I also checked my task manager when the glitches actually happen and although the CPU percentage jumps 3 - 4% it still remains quite low at around 12% overall (RAM is around 30% and doesn't jump). I've looked through all processors and there's nothing that looks sinister after a quick Google.

Any other suggestions?

May have to be another phonecall to PCS, maybe it'll be third time lucky haha.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok, it was a long-shot but worth investigating.

If you can video the screen (and audio) when your laptop is having these problems you could attach the video to an email you send PCS so that they can see exactly what your problem is.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes, I meant with a camera/phone. Quality isn't important but a good record of what's happening is. :)