Optimus V - The Laptop of Choice

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Review
This review is limited to the end product and nothing inbetween.

The laptop is a great mid ranged gaming laptop, allowing gaming on most games at good quality without breaking your back when you use it on the move! At a lower cost than the Vortex IV, the Optimus V is a great machine for those who want gaming on a budget below £1000. The ability to have two HDDs and the ODD give it the speed and the storage the average budget gamer needs. The speakers, although not the best, are still more than adequate to watch your favourite catch up TV.

FPS and heat are not an issue when testing with game play in LoL, Skyrim and GW2.

1.jpgimage.jpglaptop.jpg

New laptop I have bought to stop the missus complaining too much.

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Windows 8 64bit
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Carry Case
Tech Air 17.3" Premium Toploading Case (£23)
Keyboard Language
OPTIMUS SERIES UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
0 Year Pauper Warranty (99 Year Collect & Return, 0 Year Parts, 0 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard moosEh Build - Approximately (1 Working Day)
Quantity 1

My Panorama based review will follow... (Or pictures)

Last edited:

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I have already got a custom desktop Below specifications. May update it this year to Haswell.
Case COOLERMASTER HAF 922

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5-2500k

Motherboard - ASUS® P8Z68-V

Memory (RAM) - 8GB Kingston Hyper X

Graphics Card - 4GB GTX 680

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB Kingston V200 SSD

Memory - 2st Hard Disk 1TB

Monitor 2x IIYAMA E2273HDS 22" LED

Keyboard - Logitech 510

Mouse - Logitech G9x

Webcam - Microsoft LifeCam Studio 1080p

Headset - ASTRO A40 White PCS Tags

Last edited:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
New laptop I have bought to stop the missus complaining too much.

Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

Warranty
0 Year Pauper Warranty (99 Year Collect & Return, 0 Year Parts, 0 Year Labour)

Is she a gamer? You not getting the upgraded thermal Paste?

That's some warranty :)

Keithg

Enthusiast
I hate how technology keeps moving along, this was essentially the machine I bought 6mnths ago and I want the new one again now.
Damn you progress.

New one looks good.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Yeah makes me wish i'd bought a desktop so i could keep up with the times.

I was just away to buy one when the turbo on my car decided it wanted replaced first.

I'll know just where to come once funds show up again though, and i get written permission from the missus. :p

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I like that. I like that a lot.
Haha if only everything was built on my lunch break.

Yea sorry Keynes I do not think we will make that warranty available to the public as it may end up costing the end user a lot of money :).

Brought it back today though the romance is over.... As I am upgrading it with a 120GB 3k SSD

hpsauce13

Hi there, I am thinking of getting this model of laptop and was wondering about a couple of things, such as the feel of the chassis, and the battery life during day to day, low intensity stuff?

Also I'm going to use mine for gaming and wondered if you knew how good the heat dissipation system was?

Thanks

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
If you are going to be doing some serious gaming I would suggest a laptop cooling stand as it can get a little hot.. nothing to worry about.

rosman

Ive just received my optimus V, similar spec to yours but i went with 12gb ram and a 240gb SSD. Wish i had chosen a second storage drive now!

My windows 8 setup was fooked basically and i had to reinstall!

How i can tell if my graphics card is working properly? Under Control panel > Display it lists Intel HD Graphics 4600, shouldnt it list the NVidia 775M?

Yamikotai

Expert
How i can tell if my graphics card is working properly? Under Control panel > Display it lists Intel HD Graphics 4600, shouldnt it list the NVidia 775M?

Try a heavy game, and see what your framerate is like. If it's bad, the former is doing the work. If it's good, the latter is doing the work.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Played it on Sim City and Skyrim. Epic. I will be posting up images and a review shortly. (Just cleaning the desk).

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Played it on Sim City and Skyrim. Epic. I will be posting up images and a review shortly. (Just cleaning the desk).

Morning Mooseh,
What's your feedback on the sound? Do you use a headset? Would you recommend a sound card?

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Cannot comment on the sound at the minute as ive had it muted as I have been playing Sim City whilst on my PC at the same time :). Ill check when Im next in front of the laptop. (They seem okay when I watched GoT on it last tuesday tiny bit tinny but that may have been due to the drivers not being installed).

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Cannot comment on the sound at the minute as ive had it muted as I have been playing Sim City whilst on my PC at the same time :). Ill check when Im next in front of the laptop. (They seem okay when I watched GoT on it last tuesday tiny bit tinny but that may have been due to the drivers not being installed).

Thanks for that, looking forward to your feedback on the sound. I was thinking of getting the asus xonar u7 but I think I need to test the sound first, I won't be using the speakers just a pair of headphones.