Optimus V... very pleased

dawzinator

Greetings, I have posted on a few threads recently about the optimus v whilst waiting for mine and it arrived today with the i7 4700, gtx 765m and 8gb ram. I was slightly dubious at first with the trouble others have had but all I can say so far is wow! I opted for no OS installed as I already owned a Windows 7 license and was ordering an ssd separately. after I got the SSD in the primary slot and the 500gb scorpio black in the 2ndary slot I installed windows with no problems, took a while to fully update but it was all good.

I bloody love this thing, so far I have tested Skyrim and FFxiv:ARR both on ultra and whilst I'm not sure of the exact fps they were smooth as butter. One of the main negatives I have heard from others about this laptop was the fan going from nothing to 100% to reduce heat and the apparent noise was horrendous, I honestly havent had that problem so I'm not sure if it has been fixed with newer chassis', mine came into stock only 2 weeks ago as they were sold out but so far I have heard the fan revving up through a few increments and on full its not that bad, no worse than my other laptop and not as bad as I thought from the other posts so yeah, can't tell if thats cos my chassis is newer or just cos I'm not that bothered about the sound lol.

Overall I'm very pleased, its performing like a dream and would like to say thanks to PCS for their hard work in building it, the wait time was a little on the long side but thats the only quibble I have.

I will update this thread with any problems I may have in the near future but heres hoping I won't have to.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear your initial tests on the Optimus V have been positive!
My own has been sat on GPU stress testing to see how the fan re-acts.

Paigey

Silver Level Poster
Very nice to see some more positive feedback about the Optimus v :) I've had mine for a few months now and can't really find fault with it. Ordered mine around July when the fan issues started appearing so was very skeptical too but the fan is very calm on mine too. Guess we're the lucky ones hehe :)