Optimus VIII 15.6 cooling

Detol

Hi all,

Just a quick enquiry regarding the cooling policy of the Optimus VIII 15.6.

I have an aging Optimus V with a i7 4700mq and gtx 765m and the temps get unmanageable at times.

In the 90+ degree region on the cpu.

It's a 13 inch laptop so with one tiny cooling fan but when I bought it I didn't really known that this would result in poor cooling.

So, my question is how does the Optimus VIII tackle cooling in terms of intakes/ number of fans etc

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Detol

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Under what conditions?

It sounds like the laptop may benefit from a clean and a repaste.

I appreciate that's not actually answering your question - my point is, 90 degrees doesn't sound normal. The Optimus VIII will doubtless run cooler than that, but then so should yours.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I also think a good clean may well sort your temperature issues. I have a nearly four year old Optimus IV (15") that gets regular cleans and sits on a fan assisted cooling pad. It's idle temps are generally under 40 deg C. And I'm on the island of Crete in Greece, it gets hot here in the summer!

Detol

It sounds like the laptop may benefit from a clean and a repaste.

I clean it around every other month and did a repaste around 4 months ago.

Though the fan does get very loud as though it's catching something which I think is the culprit.

Either way, one 5cm fan cooling both a 765m and 4700mq isn't sufficient.

Might call up and ask if the Gpu/cpu have separate heat pipes and fans etc

Thanks for the input though!

daveeb

Enthusiast
Hi all,

Just a quick enquiry regarding the cooling policy of the Optimus VIII 15.6.

I have an aging Optimus V with a i7 4700mq and gtx 765m and the temps get unmanageable at times.

It's a 13 inch laptop so with one tiny cooling fan but when I bought it I didn't really known that this would result in poor cooling.

So, my question is how does the Optimus VIII tackle cooling in terms of intakes/ number of fans etc

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Detol

Does it have turbo boost ? If so turn it off by going to power management > processor power management > reduce from 100% to say 96%.
I did this on a Vortex IV and reduced temps from 95 at worst to 65 at worst. Just stops the processor from maxxing out and haven't seen any reduction in performance.

Detol

With this being said,

Is there anyone from PCS that can inform me on how many heat pipes/ fans there are in the Optimus VIII 15.6?

Thanks

terdea

With this being said,

Is there anyone from PCS that can inform me on how many heat pipes/ fans there are in the Optimus VIII 15.6?

Thanks

Just bought mine, haven't gone over 70c while gaming, it has 2 fans, 1 ports out to back left, the other on the right side of the laptop, cpu fan in very whiny tho.

Casterina

Just bought mine, haven't gone over 70c while gaming, it has 2 fans, 1 ports out to back left, the other on the right side of the laptop, cpu fan in very whiny tho.
You may have a faulty fan, best to contact PCS about it or maybe RMA.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Having done a little more reading it seems this is standard for the model, shame as it's pretty good otherwise.

Hang on you clean it every other month and you did a repaste but you don't know how many heat pipes, heatsinks, there are...?

They'd be the ones you had to lift off to do a repaste given they're attached to the heatsinks you need to paste under...

terdea

Hang on you clean it every other month and you did a repaste but you don't know how many heat pipes, heatsinks, there are...?

They'd be the ones you had to lift off to do a repaste given they're attached to the heatsinks you need to paste under...

i think he want to know how many pipes etc are on the new optimus, not his old lappy.

rav007

Enthusiast
I literally went into the very depths of forums and youtube and this is what I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4pbOY4fFo

I believe this to bet he Optimus VIII 15.6, and it looks like it has 1 heatpipe for CPU, 1 heatpipe for GPU and 1 dedicated fan for each.

I want to add, more heatpipes does not mean better heat transfer! Having 2 dedicated fans, one for CPU and 1 for GPU seems the best approach, to avoid accumulation of thermal energy and heat transfer from the pipe to other components. The cooling solution in this laptop seems sound, but you will need to ask people who own one to tell you what temps they are getting.