Optimus VIII touchpad stopped working

morcut

Touchpad was working fine last night, but just came home from work today, and the touchpad and buttons are doing nothing.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, both directly in device manager, and by uninstalling the Synaptics touchpad driver via Add/Remove programs, rebooting and letting Windows update download and reinstall them, but the touchpad remains unresponsive.
It appears in the device manager as working correctly, but it's not.

I've checked it's enabled in the Win10 settings.
Has the touchpad itself died, or is there any other software related things I can try?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
check the clevo control center, it may be disabled in there. There's usually a shortcut on the function buttons, on mine it's fn + F1

morcut

I don't appear to have Clevo control center installed :-/

But having looked, Fn + F1 does indeed have a symbol for a touchpad, but it doesn't do anything. All the other function buttons are working as expected.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I don't appear to have Clevo control center installed :-/

But having looked, Fn + F1 does indeed have a symbol for a touchpad, but it doesn't do anything. All the other function buttons are working as expected.
It won't do anything without CCC installed, you need that installed otherwise the laptop isn't configured correctly.

morcut

I've just installed CCC, and it shows the touchpad being enabled/disabled, but the touchpad is still doing nothing :-/

I even just tried using the touchpad drivers from the clevo download site, and no difference.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've just installed CCC, and it shows the touchpad being enabled/disabled, but the touchpad is still doing nothing :-/

I even just tried using the touchpad drivers from the clevo download site, and no difference.
At this point I would do a full clean install of windows as there’s been a bit of fiddling with drivers and they’ll be overlaid and probably conflicting.

morcut

And as if by magic, this months Win10 update pack has cured the problem :-/

I should really do a clean install at some point, but I've got too many big programs I'd need to download and reinstall, that it would probably take me days to get everything installed again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And as if by magic, this months Win10 update pack has cured the problem :-/

I should really do a clean install at some point, but I've got too many big programs I'd need to download and reinstall, that it would probably take me days to get everything installed again.
What are the big programs? There’s no program I know of that takes more than a couple of minutes to download and install.

If it’s a game or something like that, there are ways around having to do a full reinstall.

morcut

Off the top of my head the big ones are -
Visual Studio (IIRC about 8GB once you include the extras I use).
Fusion360
SQL server
Davinci Resolve
Ableton Live

That's the big ones, but there are lots of other smaller programs I use, which are the ones I find give me the most hassle to get reinstalled.

Given the laptop is my main computer, and it's now a couple years old, I was thinking about replacing the SSD in the spring anyway, so reinstalling can wait until then.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Off the top of my head the big ones are -
Visual Studio (IIRC about 8GB once you include the extras I use).
Fusion360
SQL server
Davinci Resolve
Ableton Live

That's the big ones, but there are lots of other smaller programs I use, which are the ones I find give me the most hassle to get reinstalled.

Given the laptop is my main computer, and it's now a couple years old, I was thinking about replacing the SSD in the spring anyway, so reinstalling can wait until then.
Lols, yeah, fairplay, they're all massive programmes!

What I would do in your situation (when you've got the time), is do a complete reinstall from scratch, all drivers configured, get all your programmes installed and updated so everything is completely up to date. Then I'd take an image with something like Macrium Reflect (free) https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree or Clonezilla https://clonezilla.org/

Then should anything occur, at least you've got a ready setup image that you can flash to the drive instead of having to face a full reinstall. Then it would just be a case of applying any new updates that had become available in the interim.

It's a pain, I know, but could be very handy going forwards.

Edit: just found an old favorite which I didn't realise was still free https://www.paragon-software.com/free/br-free/#