Optimus XI and Linux (Ubuntu)

mvirks

Planning to order an Optimus XI work laptop that I'm going to need to run Linux on.

Any feedback/experiences with potential issues would be very welcome, especially as this is Intel and I understand there might be an NVMe/RAID driver issue on some of these models?

15.6" Optimus chassis
i7 10750H
16GB 2133 MHz RAM
NVIDIA RTX 2060
1TB PCS PCIe M.2
Gigabit LAN / Killer Wifi 6

Strontium

I used to have Ubuntu installed but switched to Arch (using the EndeavourOS installer). Arch has a better package manager and is more up-to-date than Ubuntu. Not as newbie friendly as Ubuntu, but I am glad I switched. Before I did, I tried the distro out vitrulally on https://distrotest.net/

The virtual machine didn't launch in Firefox for me but was fine in Opera, might have been because of all the pop-up blockers and privacy settings. I used it to decide which desktop environment to install, if you are going down the Ubuntu route take a look at the Deepin (Ubuntu DDE), KDE, MATE and Cinnamon desktops. You will like one more than the others!

Stephen M

Author Level
I have installed Ubuntu on an older version of the Optimus and that was almost hassle free. There were some GPU driver issues then but they have been resolved since.

Agree with Strontium, Ubuntu is not as good as it was, still using it on laptop but have switched to Manjaro for the desk top and very pleased with it. Manjaro is Arch-based but easier to install/use if you are new to Linux.

VPATEL

I agree with Strontium and Stephen M.

I have also switched from Ubuntu to Manjaro for the laptop. It's been 3 yrs now and since then I am very pleased with it.

Strontium

I have installed Ubuntu on an older version of the Optimus and that was almost hassle free. There were some GPU driver issues then but they have been resolved since.

Agree with Strontium, Ubuntu is not as good as it was, still using it on laptop but have switched to Manjaro for the desk top and very pleased with it. Manjaro is Arch-based but easier to install/use if you are new to Linux.

Do you think Manjaro is suitable for a Linux newbie? I was thinking out of the 'newbie friendly' distros, it was a choice of either something ubuntu/debian-based for a point-release distro or openSUSE if you prefer a rolling-release distro. Maybe I need to add Manjaro to the list.

My experience of Arch is that it doesn't have any major stability issues, but it does have some minor configuration issues. These require using the terminal or editing a configuration file in a text editor, both of which could cause the system to become unbootable if messed-up. If you don't want to read the manual, or you have an allergy to the terminal, I wouldn't say go for Arch, at least until you get familiar with Linux.

But when you do know some basics, go for rolling release and stay fresh!

Stephen M

Author Level
Manjaro is straightforward to install and use. I do not think would be a problem for a new user, although certainly would stay away from Arch until you have some Linux experience.

Strontium

Ok, I see that we can't dissuade people from ubuntu just yet!

Distros that are updated frequently usually have the current or very near current Linux kernel, so it is highly unlikely that Linux will cause a hardware compatibility issue for the original poster Unless you are using a 2 year old Linux kernel and have bleeding edge processors and hardware, you are usually fine. You can check the kernel version for a distro on distrowatch.com, it is listed as 'Linux' in the package menu.

Google that version against your processors/hardware if unsure. Arch is nearly always up to date for the kernel, ubuntu not so much.

Stephen M

Author Level
I do not see it is a case of not turning people away from Ubuntu, Arch is just not a distro for new Linux users. Manjaro is a good compromise, it is Arch-based and updates regularly. It is better for people to start on distros which are easier to install.