Optimus XI Full system crash issue

digital_infinity

Problem just happened after a cold boot with a surge protector. Think yesterday I tried it just after trying the wall.

Still works fine with the wall after a cold boot. So guess all extension cables even with surge protectors are actually out.

Wonder if the power supply is pulling more than 13A? Could that cause it?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Can you try a cold boot on an extension socket that you know fails but with the battery out and just the power brick running it?

I'm wondering whether the battery is flaky and pulling a big current from the power brick on cold boot?

It's also worth trying a cold boot on an extension lead that you know fails but at somebody else's house. It would be wise to eliminate your power supply as the cause......

digital_infinity

Can you try a cold boot on an extension socket that you know fails but with the battery out and just the power brick running it?

I'm wondering whether the battery is flaky and pulling a big current from the power brick on cold boot?

It's also worth trying a cold boot on an extension lead that you know fails but at somebody else's house. It would be wise to eliminate your power supply as the cause......
Already tried at a few different peoples houses. Though only the wall plugs of two.

Taking the battery out appears to have worked. No crash and plugged into the surge protector I tried this morning that failed.

I'll turn it off and leave the power supply off for a while and try again to make sure.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Already tried at a few different peoples houses. Though only the wall plugs of two.
Fair enough, that was a long shot.

Taking the battery out appears to have worked. No crash and plugged into the surge protector I tried this morning that failed.
You need to run multiple tests now if you can using different extension leads and with the battery in and out. Gather some data, if you can show that the battery is the issue you might be able to convince PCS to replace it.

digital_infinity

Fair enough, that was a long shot.

You need to run multiple tests now if you can using different extension leads and with the battery in and out. Gather some data, if you can show that the battery is the issue you might be able to convince PCS to replace it.
Ran without crash on every extension I could find on different wall sockets. Put the battery back in but haven't screwed it in place. No crash on the first surge protector.

Left it off for longer as it seems if it works plugged into the wall once It can get into a state where it cannot fail.

On power on after that with battery in crash has returned. Without moving the plug (though unplugging the laptop) removed the battery and plugged laptop back in. Before if it crashes once it will always crash on that plug until plugged into the wall or undervolted.

No crash without battery.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ran without crash on every extension I could find on different wall sockets. Put the battery back in but haven't screwed it in place. No crash on the first surge protector.

Left it off for longer as it seems if it works plugged into the wall once It can get into a state where it cannot fail.

On power on after that with battery in crash has returned. Without moving the plug (though unplugging the laptop) removed the battery and plugged laptop back in. Before if it crashes once it will always crash on that plug until plugged into the wall or undervolted.

No crash without battery.
I'd call PCS then and point them to this thread. Ask if they can replace the battery (they will want the old one back).

digital_infinity

I'd call PCS then and point them to this thread. Ask if they can replace the battery (they will want the old one back).
Will do that Monday.

I'll hold myself back from jumping to mission accomplished again haha. But hopeful we may have gotten to the bottom of it. Will leave the battery out and test a bit more to check but if no crashes will assume this theory is correct.

Given the other users with the problem hopefully its just a batch of bad batteries. And hopefully their rma department gets my messages so they have a better idea of how to replicate with them.

Thank you.