Order processing

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
Can someone explain to me how does it work with the order pre production process? I ordered my system over a two weeks ago, and had to amend my order twice already. I perfectly understand that I have to wait for the 3000 series Nvidia GPUs and don't mind that, but when I ordered my built every other selected part was available. Now I had to change my power supply and CPU cooler already because they are not in stock and can delay my order further. I am a bit frustrated, does that mean my parts are not secured after ordering it? And if so, why it is marked as available when I place the order?
Is there any point of me amending the order constantly knowing that the parts once available are being grabbed from my PC while I'm waiting for my RTX card?
Was wondering if I am the only one here having issues like this. Since I'm constantly on hold with customer department I was wondering if I could get some information here.

Cheers.

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
Unfortunately, no-one here has direct access to PCS or their internal systems or how they work etc so only they could give you any specifics.
I understand, I was just wondering if anyone here might have same experience. It's more of a thread to fellow members, maybe someone had actually gone through the same problem and can share some knowledge

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
If I was to speculate (and it is speculation and no actual knowledge):

Build A: All parts "reserved" and just waiting on a new GPU which could take another 2 weeks or longer to arrive

Build B: All parts "reserved". Everything in stock except for the PSU which is the same as in Build A.

So, if I take the PSU from Build A, then I can build one of the systems.....otherwise I have the parts for 2 systems sitting around for weeks which would lead to increased wait time etc as, if the GPUs and PSUs come in at the same time, both systems still need building..multiplied by however many systems are under order.
If that is true then the system is bad from default forcing some orders to be on hold for prolonged period of time (and if you are really unlucky your order can end up being a milking cow for other orders pushing it back even further), that makes the whole ordering process obsolete and disrespectful to customers believing that the part they chose is actually in stock. I hope it does not work this way, otherwise there is no point of even marking parts available.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If that is true then the system is bad from default forcing some orders to be on hold for prolonged period of time (and if you are really unlucky your order can end up being a milking cow for other orders pushing it back even further), that makes the whole ordering process obsolete and disrespectful to customers believing that the part they chose is actually in stock. I hope it does not work this way, otherwise there is no point of even marking parts available.
As already discussed on multiple threads, there are worldwide stock issues and logistics issues which is going to be ongoing for quite a few months, most suppliers are saying til around March next year. Retailers are putting in orders but only getting a fraction of allocation. It makes predicting stock levels impossible.

You have to understand that production is low, logistics are not as they should be due to Covid restrictions, and demand is at an all time high with one retailer saying orders of GPU’s was 10 times what they expected. Everyone is working from home due to Covid so they’re all ordering PCs to facilitate that.

Stock systems just aren’t built to deal with this kind of situation.

This is not normal circumstances and every retailer and supplier is facing the same issues.

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
As already discussed on multiple threads, there are worldwide stock issues and logistics issues which is going to be ongoing for quite a few months, most suppliers are saying til around March next year. Retailers are putting in orders but only getting a fraction of allocation. It makes predicting stock levels impossible.

You have to understand that production is low, logistics are not as they should be due to Covid restrictions, and demand is at an all time high with one retailer saying orders of GPU’s was 10 times what they expected. Everyone is working from home due to Covid so they’re all ordering PCs to facilitate that.

Stock systems just aren’t built to deal with this kind of situation.

This is not normal circumstances and every retailer and supplier is facing the same issues.
I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not blaming anyone for supply issues, it is understandable and I don't mind waiting for my order, I'm not desperate.
The main issue that's bothering me is misinformation on the retailer part. When you are ordering a PC, the only part that was clearly marked as unavailable but ready for pre-order was my RTX, and I knew perfectly well that I would have to wait for it. I chose my parts, placed the order and suddenly now I am getting emails that some parts are not available. This is very unsettling. What's the point of putting the part as available if you cannot secure it? I'm being advised to amend my order by changing the part, paying extra.
I'm quite sure that is not a way to deal with the situation. It's a simple logistics issue, that is not handled very well.
Once more, I want to make it clear so it doesn't look like me moaning about missing parts, I perfectly understand that we have Covid and huge demand, but if someone is promising me something and later on asking me to change that then obviously there is an issue here.

Thunda

If I was to speculate (and it is speculation and no actual knowledge):

Build A: All parts "reserved" and just waiting on a new GPU which could take another 2 weeks or longer to arrive

Build B: All parts "reserved". Everything in stock except for the PSU which is the same as in Build A.

So, if I take the PSU from Build A, then I can build one of the systems.....otherwise I have the parts for 2 systems sitting around for weeks which would lead to increased wait time etc as, if the GPUs and PSUs come in at the same time, both systems still need building..multiplied by however many systems are under order.
There's a slight problem there though .. I've had a similar email today saying my PSU is out of stock also and with the "threat" of "further delays" hanging over me, I've added a different PSU to the cost of £54 extra .. but my original PSU might be back in stock by the time the GPU arrives and I've been pushed into a spending an extra £54 when I didn't want to / have to ..

In my eyes, the "your PSU isn't in stock" email shouldn't be sent out unless YOU are the one in Build B above and there's no other PSU in the building and it requires ordering .. your GPU / CPU is all there .. just need a PSU to power it all. If you ARE in Build A and getting these "you're XYZ is out of stock! Order different one!" emails seem ..... well, seem a little dodgy to me.

Thunda

But if an alternative PSU is IN stock - then "further delay" should indicate an extra hour .. 3 hours .. a day .. if somebody swapped to it because it doesn't have to be ordered and it's already on the shelves .. the "further delay" being the order amendment being processed and the builder then having to go to a different shelf to get it. If I order a coffee in a shop, pay for it and then wait, only to be told they've found the coffee is now out of stock and do I want Tea instead .. I don't have to wait an extra week for it. They just swap it there and then while the kettle is boiling.

.. so again, the email should really only be sent out when everything else is in place and ready to be sent to build .. and if it means it takes an extra day or so .. then so be it.

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
But if an alternative PSU is IN stock - then "further delay" should indicate an extra hour .. 3 hours .. a day .. if somebody swapped to it because it doesn't have to be ordered and it's already on the shelves .. the "further delay" being the order amendment being processed and the builder then having to go to a different shelf to get it. If I order a coffee in a shop, pay for it and then wait, only to be told they've found the coffee is now out of stock and do I want Tea instead .. I don't have to wait an extra week for it. They just swap it there and then while the kettle is boiling.

.. so again, the email should really only be sent out when everything else is in place and ready to be sent to build .. and if it means it takes an extra day or so .. then so be it.
Precisely my point here, or just state in the ordering form that none of the following parts are secure as available. I don't like to be offered another part with extra costs involved when I was being told that the original part was available when I placed my order.

Don Coyote

I would have expected that the stock was reserved when the money was charged to my credit card; when I ordered I accepted that the GPU would not be delivered prior to Christmas but it was implied that everything else was in stock for my particular order. If my credit card was not charged until my machine entered build then I could accept a more flexible approach to the stock.

Interestingly I had the email this morning about the 850W RMx PSU not being in stock so I changed the order to a 1000W RMX but when I checked the configurator shortly afterwards it showed the 850W RMx in stock but the 1000W RMx out of stock.

Thunda

I would have expected that the stock was reserved when the money was charged to my credit card; when I ordered I accepted that the GPU would not be delivered prior to Christmas but it was implied that everything else was in stock for my particular order. If my credit card was not charged until my machine entered build then I could accept a more flexible approach to the stock.

Interestingly I had the email this morning about the 850W RMx PSU not being in stock so I changed the order to a 1000W RMX but when I checked the configurator shortly afterwards it showed the 850W RMx in stock but the 1000W RMx out of stock.
You'll get another email tomorrow telling you to change again .. ;)

Thunda

The problem we have here is we can spend the next month debating what should be done, shouldn't be done etc...the problem is that none of us know exactly how PCS operate internally, when precisely stock is "reserved", the motivation behind these PSU emails.

My advice would be to send PCS a message detailing your feedback of the process as they don't always see things written here
Of course we can - but this type of stuff just adds to the frustration surrounding everything else ..

If I pay for the last 50" TV in a shop and want it delivering - they can't just resell that to somebody else, before delivering it to me, who comes along with a change of mind and wanting to upgrade a 42" they bought the day before and then tell me I have to pay extra if I want a TV .. No. I bought and secured that 50 incher .. If it's the last one in stock then the other guy should have to pay for a 55" if they want a new TV and not force me having to pay extra for something I don't want or need. If it was just ordered and pay later - then fine. But it's been paid for.

Anyway .. as you say .. round and round.

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster

I spoke with someone from tracking department, I got exactly the same email about Corsair rmx 850w. I waited like for almost an hour on hold, but managed to speak with the representative. We both agreed that until my RTX3080 arrive I shouldn't amend my order as by that time PSU might actually arrive.
If the GPU is the only thing that is delaying your order, I would advise you to wait until it is included in your build. I was told that GPU is a pre- order and is not a subject of "migration" to other builds so as soon as it comes it stays in your case.
Then you will be notified accordingly and decide what to do next if another part is still missing.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I really can't understand why people keep chopping & changing their orders, just be patient and you WILL get what you ordered, just remember 2 things:

1. Patience is a virtue
  2. Good things come to those who wait

Thunda

I really can't understand why people keep chopping & changing their orders, just be patient and you WILL get what you ordered, just remember 2 things:

1. Patience is a virtue
Because we get told to by PCS :) :

Unfortunately due to stock constraints, we are unable to get the part in stock within a reasonable time frame so we advise that you change this to a different product to avoid further delays.

(My emphasis)

ChaoticK

@Mitrich I'm in the same boat, except I'm on working day 33. They've had me change the cooling system because they ran out of stock of the now discontinued version I'd ordered and I was warned of the issue with the PSU on 04/11 by email. I called and was told there would DEFINITELY be an order in on 27/11, so I patiently waited, until this afternoon's email. I'm now in what is a 1:15 queue and still only 8th...

Hopefully someone can give me some realistic discussion on whether to change the PSU or not.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
  1. Because new items come out and we don't want to pay over the odds for last gen CPUs/GPUs
  2. Because we're told our pre-orders are not likely to arrive for 3 months
  3. Because we're told our build is held up a one item that was in stock is now on back-order

1. Patience is a virtue
Tell that to those on death row, or with chronic illnesses ;)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think it's important to bear in mind that PCS don't claim anywhere that the in stock/out of stock information on the website is accurate. Nor do they guarantee that items in stock at the time of your order will still be in stock at the time of your build.

How PCS organise their parts allocation is nobody's business but theirs. If, as @Nursemorph has suggested (and as I've suggested before), they take a part nominally allocated to one build in order to complete another that's their business.

All we contract with PCS to do is build a PC with specific parts, how they build it and where the parts come from is up to them.

I really do appreciate the terrible frustration the supply issues are causing people, but I belive you're making the frustration worse in trying to second guess where your build is in relation to others, why your build is being delayed, and particularly whether someone who ordered after you might get their build first.

I think we have to realise that PCS are doing all they can to get builds out of the door as fast as they can, generally in the order in which they were ordered. But they haven't guaranteed to build them in strict datetime order, nor have they guaranteed that parts in stock at the time of order will be ring fenced for your build.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just sit back, stick on some tunes. Everyone has to be patient, it’s all been said very eloquently. Drumming fists and comparing against the last person to get a delivery is just going to lead to further frustration.

It is how it is and out of all our control, much like Covid 19.

carrot_monkey

Bronze Level Poster
I spoke with someone from tracking department, I got exactly the same email about Corsair rmx 850w. I waited like for almost an hour on hold, but managed to speak with the representative. We both agreed that until my RTX3080 arrive I shouldn't amend my order as by that time PSU might actually arrive.
If the GPU is the only thing that is delaying your order, I would advise you to wait until it is included in your build. I was told that GPU is a pre- order and is not a subject of "migration" to other builds so as soon as it comes it stays in your case.
Then you will be notified accordingly and decide what to do next if another part is still missing.
Yeah I was thinking along those lines just now. If you have a 3k series card in your built, most probably that's the bottleneck. Until that arrives there is no need in swapping other parts that are not available.

It's probably a logistical exercise that PCS should be doing for you but hey there is common sense as well.

I say the above, 4 hours after ordering a build with a 3070 in it. Hope to have the same presence of mind in a few months.