Ordered - optimus III

petrow

Gold Level Poster
Ordered a new laptop last night, went slightly over budget by about £80-90 but was worth it. The only negative is this one doesn't have a backlit keyboard which would have been really useful, but by the time I got this spec on the Vortex III it put me over budget by £400.

Hopefully it will be ready as soon as possible. Here comes the wait :(.

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte 95% Gamut LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£79)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M - 1.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
SONY BC-5550H 4x BLURAY COMBO DRIVE & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE (£59)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus/Voyager Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery (48.84WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Quantity

Price: £934.00 including VAT and delivery.

petrow

Gold Level Poster
Thanks. I just don't want to wait for it now. Hopefully by ordering it on the weekend it will be processed Monday morning.

rhx123

I think its going to be a bit of a wait. I ordered mine on Monday morning and it was finished processing by the afternoon, but it's been on pre-production for just about 5 days now. Amusing that everything goes through as fast as stated (1 day for building, one day for testing, one day for QC) Its going to be 8 days minimum.
Of course PCS have to honor the faster build options, so I'm pretty sure "pre-production" means "waiting in the queue for fast track builds". As the Optimus III is a great model - and great value, I assume there are a lot of orders for it.
But I have saved for ages, and the price for fast track was just too much for me to spend.
So unless you are in a desperate hurry to have it and have the money to warrant the fast track, be prepared for a bit of a wait.
According to my calculations, the chance of an order being dispatched by 8 days is only ~30% - I think the 6-8 days is a bit optimistic.

petrow

Gold Level Poster
My PC took a little longer than expected but I'm not too worried. I am tempted to upgrade to the 5 day option though as I just want it :p, but I would rather spend that money on upgrading another component.

EDIT: I can't get the 5 day option anyway as it appears the Bluray drives are out of stock...

Last edited:

petrow

Gold Level Poster
Decided I want a 17.3" laptop so messaged PCS and asked them to change my order to the Optimus III 17.3" I have also changed the HDD to a 500GB Seagate. Hopefully that won't set back my order too much. I did say to them if they have begun building my laptop not to worry though.