Over clocking from 2.8Ghz to 3Ghz

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
With the blow speck is it possible to over clock the 2.8Ghz to a 3Ghz with no problems or over heating issues?

AMD ATHLON™ 64 X2 7850+ (2.8GHz) BLACK EDITION (Socket AM2+)
Motherboard ASUS® M4N78: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA II, PCIe x16, 2 x PCIe x1, 3 x PCI
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER

Also how would I go about over clocking to 3Ghz?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I think you could quite easily overclocked 200MHz without causing any damage to your system. However, you need to obtain the settings for your BIOS first to ensure the OC is stable. As I'm not an OC guru I'll leave that for someone else to comment on.

Meds

As we didn't provide overclocked PCs back when we sold that model, we have no settings on record I'm afraid. My best advice would be to search google for other peoples overclock of that particular CPU. This gives you a good starting point to work from. Please note that each and every CPU is different even if they are the same model. So you may need to tweek your bios settings slightly from somebody else's to ensure the stability of your PC.

The link below is an example of somebody taking your CPU upto 3.2GHz;

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/athlonx2_7850/3.htm

PaulH

Bright Spark
As long as you have a decent power supply and cpu cooling and your not whacking loads of volts through it it will be fine, have a look at some guides on the net about it, theres loads of information :) - remeber to monitor your temps (donwload a program called coretemp maybe) to ensure your not going past your thermal limit.

Matt

Bright Spark
I've been using Core temp for sometime. Then recently i heard that you should always read the TJunction temp and use that, and not the standard core temps.

How true that is i don't know?