Overclocking 3610qm?

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
Getting a laptop from this site tomorrow that has an i7 3610qm, and was wondering whether it would be overclockable?

I enjoyed reaching 2ghz on my old m11x r1 from the stock 1.3ghz and have read about some m17(18? Cant recall) talking about reaching 4.6ghz on the same CPU using a single core.

And HOW would I go about doing so? My old laptop required a simple on/off switch and er *cough* soldering on the motherboard *cough*

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
The conditions say warranty is only void if I destroy the CPU in the process. 4.6ghz can be left to the insanity and brilliance of the alienware users, Im talkin about 3.3ghz to 3.5ghz here.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
do you mean from 2.3GHz up to 2.5GHz or your hoping to successfully get 3.5GHz

Either way its silly

Plus when appropriate (temperature, and demand) the CPU will auto overclock to 3.3GHz so there really is no need

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
I mean when the CPU begins to get dated, Ive had painful experiences with CPU bottlenecking.

I mean The turbo boosted 3.3ghz to 3.5ghz.

Would it be viable?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
This CPU wont bottleneck, its 4 cores and also hyperthreaded, you wont have any problems, the rest of the laptop will be outdated before it

Buzz

Master
CPU part number i7-3610QM
Frequency 2300 MHz
Turbo frequency 3300 MHz (1 core) 3200 MHz (2 cores) 3100 MHz (3 or 4 cores)
Integrated graphics controller runs at 650 MHz, and up to 1100 MHz in turbo mode
Memory controller supports DDR3-1600 memory
Ivy Bridge
Dual-channel DDR3 memory controller
Direct Media Interface
PCI Express 3.0 interface
HD 4000 graphics controller

This CPU can be overclocked. As stated above, stock clocks are 2300Mhz which can go up to 3300Mhz. It also can up the RAM frequency to clock the 1600. The only thing really going against overclocking this CPU is that its an Ivy and not the Sandy which means the temps are going to be higher straight off even before any OC. I would watch closely for a while see how your temps pan out before any overclocking, and have good ventilation for it. As its only out a month, I would personally be dubious about overclocking it manually until more reports come out.

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
I don't think clevo laptops have as versatile bios as the alienware ones so I'd say no you can't oc it on that lappy.

Edit: I could also be wrong. Apparently there's also a difference whether you get the 15 inch or the 17 inch model.

Last edited: