overclocking and power supply

infernocy

Silver Level Poster
lets say i want to buy OverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz @ max 3.8GHz)

Do i need more power supply if i overclocked the processor from its original 3.06GHZ or the power supply is already adjust to the overclocking ?

COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
OverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz @ max 3.8GHz)
ASUS® P6X58D PREMIUM: DDR3, USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X T1 TRI-DDR3 2000MHz, X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£76)
COOLIT ECO C240 A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£102)
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio (£30)WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI EXPRESS CARD (£19)
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Last edited:

neewhom

Silver Level Poster
not sure of the technicalities but i would definitely want 850 to back that up. im ordering something around that spec overclocked, slightly higher in gpu and cpu and i was worrying 850 isnt enough, im expecting when i get a second gpu ill need at least 1000w.

so personally id go for an upgrade on that psu =)

infernocy

Silver Level Poster
yea thanks that was what i was thinking cos on the website it says that you need only 633w and i thought that i need more for the overclocking

Shibin

Enthusiast
That psu for me would be fine if you are overclocking, it's not like you have a water cooling system. But read my sig,just don't overclock dude unless you arent a amateur. But I don't think you can sli with a overclock and 2 470s. If you do decide to sli and overclock ur comp would just crash under load. Any comp wiz go ahead And plan me if am wrong.

Last edited:

infernocy

Silver Level Poster
the pc is already overclocked to 3.8 so i can do it if i want to but i will use the pc for 2-3 years first and then i will not destroy it from the moment i get it

thanks

Meds

Lol, this thread took ages to get to the point :)

Quick conclusion;

- Yes, overclocking will increase the amount of power the PC will use/need.
- With the specification you currently have/are looking at then the Corsair TX850 would be sufficient.
- If you plan on adding extra HDDs, Optical Drives or another Graphics Card then consider the TX950 or HX1000.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleinous

Author Level
Lol, this thread took ages to get to the point :)

Quick conclusion;

- Yes, overclocking will increase the amount of power the PC will use/need.
- With the specification you currently have/are looking at then the Corsair TX850 would be sufficient.
- If you plan on adding extra HDDs, Optical Drives or another Graphics Card then consider the TX950 or HX1000.

Ooh, youve added the TX950, nice.

Lol @ Gorman editing your post, and yes, I take an age and a half to get to the point :p

infernocy

Silver Level Poster
well at least the person who made the thread found the answer he needed:D

lol gorman

Last edited:
To be fair I good build 700w can handle the overclocking of that spec. If you properly monitor power usage during overclocking you notice it comes nowhere near. Only if you gpus and cpus where 100% load, fans on max rpm, harddrives spinning up to max, optical drives all read disks etc then maybe your would notice increased power usage but in reality it doesn't come close. When I was on my 280gtx (last time I montored power) with a QX9650 @ 4Ghz It was using a little over 550w and that was a serious power test with all the above on max load.

When tomshardware tested an overclocked 480 SLI setup with liquid cooling, with overclocks on the ram, proc and gpus the average wattage was around 800 with peaks around 900 and this was proper overclocking with extreme voltage increases accross the board.

Saying all that though power especially within computing can't be trusted and does occasional spike and peak you could then hit stability issue.s If you constantly peaking above rated psu levels, or running at set amps and wattages for longer periods of times then having a few more available watts and sometimes more importantly is buying a psu with a high efficiency level (80Pluis at least)

Last edited:

infernocy

Silver Level Poster
To be fair I good build 700w can handle the overclocking of that spec. If you properly monitor power usage during overclocking you notice it comes nowhere near. Only if you gpus and cpus where 100% load, fans on max rpm, harddrives spinning up to max, optical drives all read disks etc then maybe your would notice increased power usage but in reality it doesn't come close. When I was on my 280gtx (last time I montored power) with a QX9650 @ 4Ghz It was using a little over 550w and that was a serious power test with all the above on max load.

When tomshardware tested an overclocked 480 SLI setup with liquid cooling, with overclocks on the ram, proc and gpus the average wattage was around 800 with peaks around 900 and this was proper overclocking with extreme voltage increases accross the board.

Saying all that though power especially within computing can't be trusted and does occasional spike and peak you could then hit stability issue.s If you constantly peaking above rated psu levels, or running at set amps and wattages for longer periods of times then having a few more available watts and sometimes more importantly is buying a psu with a high efficiency level (80Pluis at least)

i will use i7 950 pre- overc with 850psu and two 1gbx 460

Last edited: