Overclocking for fsx - bottle necks etc

david rees

I'm worried about bottlenecking and other problems with incompatible parts and running a sophisticated simulator namely FSX and P3D.

I want to build a pc for fsx and p3d v2...

the processor I wish to use is i7 4770k
the Gpu is Nvidia 4Gb GeForce GTX 770
Motherboard is ASUS Sabertooth Z87
8 Gb HyperX Beast Dual DDR3 ram 2400Mhz

Is the above a good combination for overclocking to, say 4.4Ghz?
Flight simmers out there, any advice / criticism?
Do I need 2400 Mhz ram?

Ideally want to run P3D V2 on 3x 24 inch monitors

Thanks

steaky360

Hey david, welcome to the forums.

If you could post your full spec and maybe your budget it'll give others some useful info to get started.

As for the specs you've posted and your queries. You will be able to overclock the 4770k there are many folk who've gotten them beyond 4.4ghz so that won't be an issue. The main problem you'll likely face is cooling, what sort of cooler were you thinking of?

The 2400mhz ram likely won't make much of a difference to the performance.

I assume the monitors are 1920x1080 monitors (it doesn't matter about their size ie. inches its the resolution that matters in terms of performance).

david rees

thanks for your reply...

I was looking at going overboard on case and psu...

Case COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-4770k Quad Core (3.50GHz @ max 4.40GHz)
Motherboard ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z87: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, THERMAL ARMOR
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
3rd Hard Disk NONE
4th Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader NONE
Power Supply CORSAIR 1000W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans NONE
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Fan Controller NONE
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

david rees

thanks

you're suggesting a better GPU. Is that for P3D? FSX being CPU rather than GPU heavy.

1920x1080 MONITORS X3

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have seen benchmarks for flight simulator x where the gtx 780 offers slightly better performance than the gtx 770. If you are planning to use 3 monitors for gaming I would also recommend the gtx 780.

halox

Enthusiast
I done a test with 4 x GTX680 quad SLI (2 x GTX690's). On full settings on FSX, 3 of the GPU's were idle. The last one was running about 25%. Its the CPU you really need for FSX.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I done a test with 4 x GTX680 quad SLI (2 x GTX690's). On full settings on FSX, 3 of the GPU's were idle. The last one was running about 25%. Its the CPU you really need for FSX.

I though SLI was not ideal for FSX and you could experience a decrease in performance. Have you try it with a single gpu?

halox

Enthusiast
I though SLI was not ideal for FSX and you could experience a decrease in performance. Have you try it with a single gpu?

I'm not sure. There certainly did not seem like a loss in performance. I made a vid too using the CPU and Fraps. As far as I could tell the CPU was doing all the work. The GPU's were only there to send it to the screen at minimal effort. It would be great if FSX used all the GPU's to get even better scenery and detail.