Overclocking i7 2920XM

xandreu

Hi.

I'm looking to buy a laptop for video editing and 3D rendering, and want to get the fastest processor I can. Looking at the difference in speeds between the 2820QM and 2920XM, it doesn't seem enough of a difference to justify the price difference, but I read that the reason the 2920XM's are more expensive is because they can be overclocked.

I don't know much about overclocking, and am a bit worried about overclocking it myself. Is this something PCS can do for me before it's shipped? And if so, what sort of speeds can be achieved if it's done safely? I don't want it overclocked to an extent which puts it in any danger of failing. And if it does seem to be running extra hot, (I'll be using the laptop abroad in hot countries) does it still monitor itself and prevent itself from overheating? If not, is it easy to put the clock speeds back to normal myself?

By the way I'm looking to buy the 17" Vortex II with 3D Vision.

Thanks.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
oooo, i wouldnt do it, laptops are meant for decent portable speed at decent cooling levels, your temps will go through the roof if you use it to its overclocked maximum, there is a reason why laptops processors are less power hungry and lower clocked

xandreu

If that's the case, what's the justification for the massive difference in price between the 2820qm and 2920xm? There's like a £400 difference whereas the other 2nd gen mobile processors are all about £150 apart. There must be some reason why people pay the hefty price tag?

LinearHD

Rising Star
Because it's Extreme Edition, the best of the best in terms of processing power. But it's not worth the money imo, unless you have money to blow, then go for it xD