Overclocking my 1090T

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Alright guys, I was just wondering if anyone knows the max temps for the Phenon II 1090T :)

Cheers

*Edit

I know that core temps are the temperatures im suppose to be watching, but in regard to my CPU temperature, is there a max temperature I should be worrying about as well?

Last edited:

Meds

Yeah, When we OC the 1090T we aim to keep the temps as close to 50C as possible when running @ 100% load (usually prime95 for an extended period of time)

Meds

What about the CPU temp? does it matter at all?

"Yeah, When we OC the 1090T we aim to keep the temps as close to 50C" <- yes, CPU temp is very important. As Gorman says, it should never exceed 60C and we aim for 50C when we OC at base.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
I would of thought that Gorman was talking about the Core temp, as this the most important temperature to watch?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
It seems that there's 2 different temperatures which are used for CPU's: Tcase Max (CPU temperature) and Tjunction (Core temperature). Intel seems to have the maximum Tcase temperatures for their CPU's on their website so the i7-950 has a maximum of 67.9°C
(http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37150)
but the Tjunction (which I think is more important?) isn't listed.

For AMD's 1090t it doesn't say whether it's the Tcase or Tjunction just "Max Temps (C)" with a value of 62°C
(http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=)

On the first graph here:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2010/07/14/thermaltake-frio-cpu-cooler-review/2
it shows the i7-965 reaching 74°C under full load with the intel stock cooler which is over its maximum temperature (67.9°C) so I’m not sure if you can go over the maximum or not.

Gorman

Author Level
Seems to be a lot of confusion here, post me a screen of your temp monitoring software and i will go through it.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
To clear up the confusion, I wanted to know what the max temperatures were for both Core temp, and CPU temp. I know that the core temperature is more important than the CPU temperature, but i'd like to know both.
Would be pointless posting screenie's of the programs. (CoreTemp & ASUS PC Probe II)

Im gathering the temperature you originally posted Gorman was the CORE temperature, however, I would still like to know the max CPU temperature.

Think i'm just going to leave it OC'd at 3.6ghz anyway, as the ALC seems to be a pretty poor water cooler. Until I have some spare cash to splash on a custom WC loop.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
And this is where the confusion is, depending on what program and setup your using they are different things.

Take coretemp as an example, this will show the temp for each core on the cpu and give a general cpu temp, neither readings are particularly accurate as they rely on a preset Tjmax value for that cpu and the sensors give a reading of the difference to Tjmax, in the case of most intels Tjmax is 100c. Coretemp then uses this difference to guesstimate the temp to display. Tjmax is not accurate until it is reached, so idling coretemp gives a value of say 30c, this could be as much as 15-20c off in either direction, the only time it is dead accurate is when approaching Tjmax, for example 80-99c.

For overclocking purposes you need to see that each core has relatively even temps and that no core goes above 50-60c on load for AMD or 80-90c for Intel.