Overclocking on a Laptop ?

sine0

Hello folks and people of the forum.

A question that has been on my mind for a while is about overclocking laptop computers.
I am sure you can increase the cpu speed using tweaks and bios settings but what about
replacing the cpu fan with a modified one for overclocking ? I see everywhere about tower
pcs but nothing about laptops. has anyone done this or is it a waste of time

look forward to hearing your views/ advice

Mark

mrducking

Bright Spark
it can be done :) i have done it
but this is not something you do for something cost efficient to get more juice from that hardware for less money
it's more like doing it for fun, because you are entering the modding world :)
OC in laptops almost always will involve modding, specially if it's cpu modding
if it's gpu OC it's not so much of a problem depending on the laptop

what exactly do you want to OC and on which laptop?
remember: OC with modding in a laptop is mainly for fun and not for performance(which you get but not worth it in the same way it is in a desktop)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Please note that due to limited cooling potential in laptops it is strongly advised NOT to overclock. Also, it will void any warranty. If it's an old lappie that you want to boost for it's final days, that's another matter, but if you're just looking to squeeze 5% performance boost on a new/ish one, then I wouldn't bother, you won't notice any difference.

sine0

I was just thinking about an old laptop that I had and was running minecraft on it for my mum (lol) she actually got really into it but its running on the super minimum render distance and I was thinking of a way of trying to squeeze some more out of it, i mean its a piece of junk (but it does RUN minecraft) so im not that bothered about life expectancy, I have read that overclocking (if done without actually damaging it) does reduce the life expectancy of a processor but its something silly like 100 years down to 30 years.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was just thinking about an old laptop that I had and was running minecraft on it for my mum (lol) she actually got really into it but its running on the super minimum render distance and I was thinking of a way of trying to squeeze some more out of it, i mean its a piece of junk (but it does RUN minecraft) so im not that bothered about life expectancy, I have read that overclocking (if done without actually damaging it) does reduce the life expectancy of a processor but its something silly like 100 years down to 30 years.

Yeah, that's about it, so long as you have a stable overclock. Worth a go then.

Retron

Silver Level Poster
Also, it will void any warranty.
How would you prove the computer had been overclocked in case of problems? You can't, really.

Anyway, it's certainly possible to overclock laptops, or at least laptops with i7s. Load up Intel XTU and assuming your BIOS is happy to play, it's just a case of upping the turbo multiplier a bit.

Older i7s (such as the 2720QM) can be overclocked by 400MHz. The Haswell i7s can be overclocked by 200MHz for i7-47xx models, 400MHz for i7-48xx models and 600MHz for i7-49xx models. The X models can of course be overclocked further and, more importantly, they have a 10W higher TDP which gives you more headroom.

The 4710MQ in my new Defiance overclocks by 200MHz (meaning you can run it at 3.7GHz). That's not really much of a boost, but it's there if you want it.

Similarly you can overclock graphics cards in laptops as well. The stock BIOS will allow you to overclock the Defiance's 980M by 125MHz.

The limits are likely to be power-related rather than thermal, or at least they are in the case of my Defiance! Some of the more hardcore overclockers are using Dell 240W PSUs in place of the stock 180W one and when flashed with Prema's unlocked BIOSes the graphics card is overclocking well beyond 125MHz...